Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have shallow supers and unwired foundation. How exactly do I put this foundation in my shallow frames? Do I use the wedge like the brood foundation? What keeps it in the frames?

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you're using wax foundation, I think you have to wire it in. Otherwise how would you extract it? If it's plastic foundation I think you can just slip it into the slot in the bottom bar and then staple or nail in the wedge to hold it onto the top bar. I've got some deeps that I did that way and they're working out so far. Of course, I'm not going to extract them, either. The frames I plan to extract I just put the wax foundation in and used a soldering iron to embed the wires. (Battery was dead and I didn't think about using the 6 amp battery charger...)

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,029 Posts
>I have shallow supers and unwired foundation. How exactly do I put this foundation in my shallow frames? Do I use the wedge like the brood foundation? What keeps it in the frames?

The best, IMO, is to use a wax tube fastener, but you can just neail the wedges. If it's surplus (for cut comb) you won't want to wire it. It will be fragile and if you put it in too soon or the bees wait too long to work it it can buckle.

>If you're using wax foundation, I think you have to wire it in. Otherwise how would you extract it?

I extract all the time without wire in it. The wire does help keep the foundation straight until the bees draw it. But if you want cut comb it will be in the way.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is wax foundation. I dont have an extractor and plan on cut comb or crushing and draining. I only have two hives (so far) so no need to invest in an extractor. What is this wax tube fastener? Something re-usable I hope. I wondered how long I could keep removing the wedge and replacing the foundation as I cut it out every year.
Thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
405 Posts
What about foundationless? Works great for me, except for all the foundation i have laying around that i'm never going to use.
-j

·
Vendor
54,029 Posts
>What is this wax tube fastener? Something re-usable I hope.

Wax tube fastener:

http://www.dadant.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=231

http://go.netgrab.com/secure/kelleystore/asp/product.asp?product=102

Look at item number 165

>I wondered how long I could keep removing the wedge and replacing the foundation as I cut it out every year.

Don't. When you cut out the comb leave the top row of cells. The bees will build the comb in the frame based on that and you won't need foundation or starter strips. If you DO want to nail in a new one, then put every wedge on a different frame than the one it was on before, so the nail holes don't line up.

·
Registered
918 Posts
When I use the wireless wax foundation I hold it in with the wedges at the top. I also shoot a couple of staples through one of the bottom bars, through the foundation, into the other bottom bar. This adds a little extra support to the foundation and I haven't had any foundation come out of the frames yet.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Speaking of staples...

This last two boxes of Shallows I framed up with wireless Wax I used staples completely. Both for the top wedges and through the bottom bars as well. And it has held up nicely.

The trick was to get the stapler solidly against the frame and wedge and hold it firmly on as you staple to get a perfect set point in for the staple. And I found 9/16" T-50 staples just long enough to do the job and hold nice. 1/2 ones would not do it. Three staples across the top and one centered across the bottom bars. These 9/16" T-50s will go all the way through the one bar, the foundation and just solidly set into the opposite side bar.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The wax tube works great and you don't have to fool around removing nails or staples when you put fresh foundation in.

You have to hold the foundation still while the bead of wax cools. That can be a few seconds instead of a minute if you have a sheet of cardboard. Just use it to fan the wax and it sets up quick like a bunny.

·
Vendor
54,029 Posts
I just line up all the frames top bars down on a table. Then I run the wax in each in order and set them back in the table (no wating). When I'm done I flip them over and put them in the supers.

I generaly don't redo them because once I have comb in the frame, I leave the top row of cells and i never put foundation in again. But if you want to you just use a screwdriver or a frame cleaning tool (available from most bee supply places) and scrape out the groove and put another sheet of foundation in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts