Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my conversion to small-cell, I'd like to re-use whatever I can. Tentative plan: cut down the current deep frames to fit in medium supers and put a new bottom bar on the frames (MB has described doing this and seems pretty straightforward), then use them upstairs for honey.

Question is, since I plan on converting to nine-frame honey supers, will the bees be reluctant to draw dark brood comb farther out in the nine-frame configuration? Is there any problem with dark brood comb being reclaimed and used in a honey super? The reason for moving it upstairs is I'm regressing the brood chambers to small-cell and might as well use the large cell stuff for honey.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Using old dark brood comb in your honey super is bad bee keeping practice,... have learned this at bee coarse.
Honey can be contaminated by all sorts of bee medications etc. stored for many years in the comb.
I would use only honey super comb.

Konrad

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
>Question is, since I plan on converting to nine-frame honey supers, will the bees be reluctant to draw dark brood comb farther out in the nine-frame configuration?

No they will not be reluctant at all.

>Is there any problem with dark brood comb being reclaimed and used in a honey super?

That depends on your use of chemicals.

>The reason for moving it upstairs is I'm regressing the brood chambers to small-cell and might as well use the large cell stuff for honey.

As long as it is free of chemicals, it works fine. Some people think it gives the honey a taste or color when it's in dark comb, but I have not been able to substaniate that.

>Using old dark brood comb in your honey super is bad bee keeping practice,... have learned this at bee coarse.
Honey can be contaminated by all sorts of bee medications etc. stored for many years in the comb.

If you use chemicals in your hive, yes.

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is a first-year hive, three OA vaporizations and a couple Sucrocides have been the only chemicals to date. Though very dark, it's virtually new comb drawn in April and May, so I've been thinking it'll be OK for honey. Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts