Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi from central Florida! I pulled the super off one of my hives since all frames were full of honey, to spin. Trying to decide if I should put back the super with empty frames this late in the year. There are lots of bees in this hive, which is now one deep brood box. I would like to treat the brood box with Apavar now, but to do that, I need the super off for six weeks, so the Apavar doesn't get into the wax left in the super. But since there so many bees, I'm afraid if I don't give them the space back, they may swarm. (It's 80 degrees here.)
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,157 Posts
Depends on your flow in the area. We're just starting our flow here so it's too late for me to consider using Apivar or other non honey safe treatments as I don't have 6 weeks to burn with my supers going on here shortly.

If you can't use a honey safe treatment and need to treat you may need to add another brood box to give them space, as long as all the brood is down below I don't see why you couldn't stick to 2 strips. Do a test after 6 weeks for your mite count. Perk of that, is if you run single deeps you could then split the colony.

However, if you're coming into a bloom you'd be missing out on a honey crop. You can either make honey, or make more bees...or use another treatment with the reminder to treat before your flow and not at the start of it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts