Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that having a hive on scales is a great aide in determining the nectar flow and how good the flow is at the time.

I purchased 2 scales a while back. One has wooden parts and I don't want to use it until I get it weather worthy. The second is metal and can probably be put out in the elements now. Would like to clean up a little and throw on a coat of rustoleum paint.

Which hive do I put on the scales? 4 are going to be difficult to get the scales to the hives. The other 4 can be used. One was a swarm last year that I actually got honey. Another is next to the house but currently had 2 highs and 2 mediums. Another was a swarm last year and didn't do anything but is coming along really nice now. It's in an 8-frame setup.

Any suggestions?

I know that I will need to level the ground and I know that I don't have much time before the nectar flow really goes into high gear.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
That depends on if you are looking for an average reading, or bragging rights. I usually try to find a hive that is slightly better than average.

Roland

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mainly want to see how the flow and bees are progressing. Not really interested in bragging rights. I may put the scales on the hive that was a swarm and easy to get to with the scales.

Should I cover the actual scale and weights with plastic to keep them dry and out of the weather?

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
I would build a tin roof to cover the beam and weights. Keep the grass short so that nothing grows up into the bottom. Of course, keep it up off the ground a little. I believe ours has been outside like that since the 30's.

Roland

1 - 4 of 4 Posts