Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be picking up 5 nuks on sunday morning. Not having any five frame equiptment, my plan is to put them into ten frame brood boxes with drawn comb and feeder on top. Any drawbacks to this plan?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Nope. If there's any kind of flow on they may not take much feed. On drawn comb they'll overflow a ten frame deep shortly. 3 or 4 weeks I would guess maybe less.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Did that yesterday... not to much drama if i did it . for sure you can do it better with less screaming running around and bees laughing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I put two four frame nucs into 10 frame hives almost two weeks ago. They are doing good, happy to have the extra space. They are both taking syrup, even with foragers working hard. I imagine they will stop taking it once they get their numbers up a bit more and have their new homes established.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I do it all the time, i put the 5 nuc frames together in the middle of the 10 frame hive with 2 empty frames on one side and the other 3 on the other.A good 5 frame nuc will need another brood box in 3 to 4 weeks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts