Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I opened a dead out back in late winter and had some deep frames which I put in a sealed box to use later...when I opened it smells ....maybe fermented?
What is the best way to salvage these to use...or can they be...I don't want to cause more damage....but would like to use the drawn comb .
Thanks. Jim

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Can you provide more detail on what the comb looks like?
Pollen, capped honey, uncapped nectar, dead brood, mold?

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Assuming that you aren't spreading any disease or chem contamination a strong hive will clean up comb in almost any condition. Strong being the key word. I've hived swarms on comb that had already been sorted out to toss - wax moth, mold - and they make it look like new remarkably quickly. The exception is hive beetle slimed frames. Probably best to toss them.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you provide more detail on what the comb looks like?
Pollen, capped honey, uncapped nectar, dead brood, mold?
Yes, the frames were 40% older pollen with the rest empty. The pollen does have some whitish mold(?) covering some of them...with a few frames having mold(?) bluish tint....

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
In the future consider storing them in the freezer. It help put all biological process on hold until the bees get them again.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
The bees will clean all that up. You may want to air them out first, and let everything dry up. Sometimes the moldy pollen will shrink when it dries and if you tap the frames the pollen will fall out of the cells. Cover the box with screen and let everything air out for a while. Keep on eye out for any signs of pests.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts