Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got in a tough spot this year right before flow and put in one frame of capped brood in with four frames of honey and let it fly. Should have put more brood but could not. On full feed. Honey disappeared early but now have good number of bees and capped brood and all 10 frames have brood or nectar and sugar in them. Some honey in corners of brood. It’s getting late and there seem to be a lot of bees. Can I just add the second deep with comb on top now. Central Illinois which is hot in summer and cold in winter.Getting ready for golden rod and asters. Get below 50 degrees in 2-2 1/2 months. Thanks, just need a little push one way or the other. No one to talk to.Active bees and covers about all of the tops of bottom frames and climbing all over. May be a stupid question but thanks anyway.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I am in a similar position with one of my hives and due to drought, I can't rely on a good fall flow. Put the box on and feed. Between that and a halfway decent flow, they have a good chance of filling it. J

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
If it was me, I'd add it to the bottom, not the top. Bees will push down, storing incoming nectar/honey in the top as brood emerges. Just In-case there is not enough flow to fill the whole box, it'll leave empty space at the bottom, not the top, for going into winter. Add feeding if you think it's going to be needed.

·
Registered
512 Posts
More comb means more food for them in the winter, whether they forage it themselves or you feed them. I would absolutely put on that second box if its all drawn out. No use not employing your drawn comb resources!

·
Registered
8,269 Posts
Put the second box underneath in your situation. If the single is heavy with honey this early in the fall, I put the comb on top. The bees will instinctively move the stored feed above the brood nest which will naturally stimulate the colony and keep them brooding up. Oh and treat mites!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts