Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bees are alive after our first winter woohoo so now i guess its time for spring feeding. At the end of the year when i was reducing I ended up with ten frames extra of mostly capped honey. Can i put this back in their hives now instead of feeding sugar water? Do i use both?
Thanks in advance Don

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
If your bees have enough honey in the hive, you may not need to feed at all. Feeding too much can lead to swarming due to a lack of space for the queen to lay. If they are low in stored food, you can add a couple of the frames to the hive to keep them from starving. If they have plenty of food, feel free to extract the honey from the frames and enjoy it!

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,529 Posts
My bees are alive after our first winter woohoo so now i guess its time for spring feeding. At the end of the year when i was reducing I ended up with ten frames extra of mostly capped honey. Can i put this back in their hives now instead of feeding sugar water? Do i use both?
Thanks in advance Don
Yes if you NEED to feed and have honey feed honey, open the hive on a warm day and if the stores are light put a frame of honey on each edge IE spot 1 and 10. But if they already have those frames with lots of honey then feeding is not needed.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yes if you NEED to feed and have honey feed honey, open the hive on a warm day and if the stores are light put a frame of honey on each edge IE spot 1 and 10. But if they already have those frames with lots of honey then feeding is not needed.
Is there any reason to break the wax seal of the combs when placing frames back to feed?

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
No need to scratch the cappings, the bees know how to pierce them and get small amounts, as needed, from combs in the normal position in a hive.

Nancy

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,529 Posts
Is there any reason to break the wax seal of the combs when placing frames back to feed?
Jackam, I would only scratch the cappings if you think the bees are very old and they did not have time to order their dentures. On a more serious note,, No. if you scratch it would be like opening all the cans of food in your pantry, if you needed to eat them all then maybe...... more likely they eat some of the honey and then finally get nectar and leave the rest for next winters stores. They are fine opening their own cells of food as they need them.., also the honey could run and make a mess and attract ants.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts