Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First yr beek. My first split. I want to winter the nuc.

I did a split 3 weeks ago using a mated queen I bought. They are in a single deep 5 frame nuc. One frame was foundation. The nuc is doing great with the queen laying up a storm. The box is full of bees and when all the capped brood hatch it will get crowded. They have been drawing out the foundation frame but are being a bit slow about it possibly because there are still open cells on the other four frames. They have 1:1 syrup but don't use a lot of it.

The idea was to take the nuc through winter. I originally thought that as the nuc expanded I would put another 5 frame deep on with all foundation but since they are being slow with the frame of foundation in their current box I am starting to suspect that they won't get too far in filling out a second deep from scratch. I'd give them 5 deep frames of comb but I don't have it. I could, however, give them 5 frames of medium comb, nectar, or honey as I can take that off my other 2 hives. I'd just need to make a 5-frame medium box for it.

What are your suggestions for getting this nuc ready for winter? Deep, medium, extracted honey comb, nectar, honey...?

Thanks, Bob

·
Registered
201 Posts
I checkered honey and foundation on mine from other hives but its my frist year too. I only got 16 or so hives and only did splits 4 times all with 10 frames deeps. I did the "walk away splits". after they got a laying queen I put a pollen and 5 frame of honey in the top. now there drawing out all my frames. I split mine 5 weeks ago. oh I been feed ing the splits to cause it a little dry right now.

·
Super Moderator
10,456 Posts
hi bob,

another option to consider would be to transfer the nuc to a ten frame deep. when the brood hatches you have some new wax makers in the mix and you might get a few more frames drawn, and you can use a super that you already have.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
This early in the season I would either follow squarepeg's advice or go with the deep and foundation. Keep the feeder jar on. I am guessing that once all that new brood hatches out you will have better luck getting comb drawn. At the worst you can pull the deep back off and put on extracted mediums with feed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts