Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 days ago I re queened using a push in cage. I installed the queen over emerging brood. All was well but I realized there was a very small amount of honey with her. I thought this would be okay for her for 4 days but when the brood hatch they will need to eat as well and she may not get fed. Should I go in and move the cage? Maybe put a piece of comb honey inside?
Thanks!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Bees outside the cage will also feed them, I wouldn't worry about it as long as outside bees have room to get around the outside of the cage for only 4 days.
I have never had to keep a cage in over maybe a week and that was more because of schedule , I usually put her over 80% empty cells so she can lay if she wants from the start. I also use a pretty large cage though vs what some may use.

·
Registered
358 Posts
That is one of the reason I use a push in, that and I can have some ornery hives that need re-queened. I never removed a frame since my 8 framers have enough outside space I can steal for it, but I'd do what you did if I had too as well.

I bet you will be fine, hopefully she will start laying and get that pheromone going soon for you, having the new nurse bee entourage will help as well.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Well, if it's any consolation, a few years back I came out of winter with a drone layer that ended up LW before Queens where available and I had all but wrote that hive off after trying two queens I had.

Then it was a challenge, so I made a larger push in cage around 6"x10". Took a couple of weeks that time in the cage +syrup for the few female bees I had left considering, but they finally got things turned around, accepted the queen and she has been my best honey girl for 2 years now.

EDIT: Point to the above was, my queen had to rely on being fed by bees that didn't particularly care for her, also helped I added one frame with small cluster of brood trying to get that pheromone in there, so she had a few young new bees that would except her right off, my theory any way

1 - 8 of 8 Posts