Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
An apiary down here (NE panhandle of WV) posts pollen color charts that might have some suggestions:

https://www.facebook.com/EversweetA...8406449585336/645628018863177/?type=1&theater

I've just started making pollen slides. It is easy enough to gather dropped pellets from under a SBB, not too difficult to make slides if you have a high-power microscope. But then finding matching pollen ... this is gonna take a while.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. The Wikipedia chart doesn't have anything close to the color I saw. The Eversweet chart shows something in a similar color -- but the flower, palm-leaf marshmallow, grows in Europe. I haven't been able to find anything on it being an invasive species where I live. Still searching...

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
I have worked under the vain theory that if I could spot the pollen basket color on the bees while they are actively foraging on the flower it comes from, the mystery would be solved. But the bees take great pleasure in finding pollen from sources I can't find. The more interesting the color, the more devious they seem to be.

Good exercise, though.

The Wikipedia link does say that Chicory pollen is white ... that one I can confirm I've seen the bees gathering.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have worked under the vain theory that if I could spot the pollen basket color on the bees while they are actively foraging on the flower it comes from, the mystery would be solved. But the bees take great pleasure in finding pollen from sources I can't find. The more interesting the color, the more devious they seem to be.

Good exercise, though.

The Wikipedia link does say that Chicory pollen is white ... that one I can confirm I've seen the bees gathering.
LOL! Guess I'll just have to spend a day hiking a three-mile radius in several directions from my house. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts