Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you familiar with Loosestrife honey how would you describe the color? We raise a significant amount most years and in past years would describe it as having a greenish hue. This year I would describe it as more of a fluorescent yellow. I had trouble accepting it as being Loosestrife at first but the smell taste and characteristic black pollen patches convinced me it just has a different color this year.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't doubt that you are probably right Michael though the pollen sure appears black when stored in a light comb. Ya, fluorescent yellow motor oil, thats a pretty good description of the honey.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
In the fall, white pollen seems to come from the many plants in the Asteraceae family.
Knapweed in particular is very, very white. Maybe you have that there.
The 'asters' seem to run from white to grayish white.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My bees are bringing in loads of very dark green (almost black) pollen. We are surrounded by purple loosestrife, asters, goldenrod, and queen ann's lace, to name a few. I couldn't figure out the dark green pollen, but loosestrife makes perfect sense.

·
Registered
46 Posts
For those of you familiar with Loosestrife honey how would you describe the color? We raise a significant amount most years and in past years would describe it as having a greenish hue. This year I would describe it as more of a fluorescent yellow. I had trouble accepting it as being Loosestrife at first but the smell taste and characteristic black pollen patches convinced me it just has a different color this year.
I am seeing it as a very fluorescent yellow also this year. Coming out of the uncapper you have to take a second look because the whole room smells of loosestrife.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts