Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Premium Member
2,636 Posts
I purchased a queen from a reputable breeder online as I wanted to try certain genetics and queen arrived in great form July 5. I introduced in queen cage and she had been released 3 days later when I checked. Since I've opened the hive three times checking for eggs and there isn't a single egg or larvae from the new queen. I dispatched the old queen and the hive (double 8 frame deeps with all drawn comb) is still treating her well. I always seem to find her on an outside frame and her marking has nearly been chewed off. I've only got a few hives and only ordered one queen as I wanted to try these certain genetics. I contacted the owner from where I purchased it and asked about him replacing this queen and he replied asking if there was any honey in the hive as he's seen a hygienic trait where they will quit laying if no honey or feed and as soon as they are fed they will take off. I replied and told him yes there were four frames of honey in the hive as I didn't harvest it all and plenty of pollen and I'm actually feeding as I have two nucs at the yard. He never replied back to me.

My question, anything else I can do to help the situation here? Also, am I asking too much for him to replace a queen that isn't laying eggs? She wasn't cheap...
A similar situation happened with me, but started feeding 1:1 and that finally got her going, this was a new split.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.