Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy some Russian Queens. Do any of you guys have any recommendations of breeders they have had succsess with? Anyone close to PA would also be a plus. Please only respond if you actually have experience with the breeder and/or Queens, thanks!

·
Registered
786 Posts
I'd try Kirk Webster for russian stock (VT). I'm sure someone here can post Kirk's info. Trying to get equip ready for 30 nucs on the fly if I had time I'd look info up for you.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Kirk Webster
Box 381
Middlebury, Vt. 05753
802-989-5895
Kirk Does Not Have Email. If You Want To Communicate With Him, You Will Have To Call Or Send Snail Mail!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've been considering raising and banking some Russian/Local Mutts for some friends to requeen.

I'm no commercial breeder but I've been successful raising queens that live up to my standards.

and I'm pretty close living in Indiana, Pa.

I could save you a few.

Otherwise, I got my first queens from Walter Kelley Co. and have been very happy with them. A little pricey but arrived alive and good layers.

·
Registered
465 Posts
You might try Charles Walter at http://walterswholesomegoods.com/
Bought a couple of nucs from him last year and queens were very good. They raise Russian Queens He and his wife were West Virginia beekeepers of the year last year. He is in Shepherdstown, WV just on the other side of the Potomac river from Sharpsburg MD made famous in the War of Northern Aggression.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I am looking to buy some Russian Queens. Do any of you guys have any recommendations of breeders they have had succsess with? Anyone close to PA would also be a plus. Please only respond if you actually have experience with the breeder and/or Queens, thanks!
Try here. See if these would be suitable for what you want. He's a master beekeeper, author, president of BurghBees, very knowledgeable and an all around nice guy from Pittsburgh.

http://meadowsweetbees.com/queens-nucs-books/

·
Registered
47 Posts
Coy's Honey farm I believe still has queens available for later the season.
They are certified russian bee breeders giving you pure russian stock if that is what you desire. I have some of their queens and can ony say good things about them. The queens and the company have been very reliable. Their bees are not as swarmy as the early released russians and easy to work with minimal protective gear. A puff of smoke or a few squirts of sugar water- HBH and thery are a joy to handle. ahere is the the link www.coyshoneyfarm.com/ The other russian breeders are likely sold out for the season.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts