Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the season closes here in Illinois I have a number of uncapped frames in my last remaining supers.I have always waited for capping but I tested the uncapped frames and they ar at about 16% which is below my previous capped frames. Any issues with processing uncapped honey with low moisture content?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Based on past experiences there comes a time when it will not be capped. The uncapped cells start to look as if they have a foggy appearance. Testing of these cells as of today indicates low moisture content. Thanks UOTE=psm1212;1830113]If it is testing out at 16% water content, it is honey. No problem extracting it.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
I have 4 medium boxes I am going to pull off tomorrow. They are not capped at all but pass the shake test. They dont seem interested in capping them.

I built a tent with a step ladder and put my dehumidifier in it this afternoon. I am prepared to give them a couple of days in there but first I will extract a few typical frames and do a refractometer test on that to get a feel for how much moisture I have to lose.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You may not have to dehumidify and maybe should test first. I have retested before dehumidifying and found very low moisture between15 and 16.3. For me, this is lower than the capped frames. I don't know why.
I have 4 medium boxes I am going to pull off tomorrow. They are not capped at all but pass the shake test. They dont seem interested in capping them.

I built a tent with a step ladder and put my dehumidifier in it this afternoon. I am prepared to give them a couple of days in there but first I will extract a few typical frames and do a refractometer test on that to get a feel for how much moisture I have to lose.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
You may not have to dehumidify and maybe should test first. I have retested before dehumidifying and found very low moisture between15 and 16.3. For me, this is lower than the capped frames. I don't know why.
When I pulled everything yesterday afternoon I found a few that shed a bit of nectar droplets when shaken and of the rest only half a dozen or so were close to what I normally consider right so I put the four boxes all in with the dehumidifier. Uncapping sure will be an easy job on that batch!

·
Registered
956 Posts
I believe what crofter is seeing is the beginning of his fall flow.Yesterdays inspection of a few hives showed incoming nectar in my area after about a 6 week dearth.
I think that the days of low moisture uncapped honey are over for some.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just extracted 4 supers with all uncapped honey. I tested before and after and the moisture was about 16-17%. We are coming to the end of our season and if supers remain uncapped for some time they will not change even with an anticipated flow of Golden Rod, which we do not desire. I have about another 10 to go but anticipate the same result. The lesson here is not to wait too long as the bees will start to process this uncapped honey and move it down for the winter.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I also had several supers of uncapped frames (must be a Northern IL thing this year) that I extracted. Moisture was also 16-17%. Was a good honey year for me overall. Not looking forward to going in the Russian hive for mite treatments.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like we had the same experience. It would be interesting to learn why this occurred. The bees started gathering earlier and perhaps found different flower sources.
I also had several supers of uncapped frames (must be a Northern IL thing this year) that I extracted. Moisture was also 16-17%. Was a good honey year for me overall. Not looking forward to going in the Russian hive for mite treatments.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
When I pulled everything yesterday afternoon I found a few that shed a bit of nectar droplets when shaken and of the rest only half a dozen or so were close to what I normally consider right so I put the four boxes all in with the dehumidifier. Uncapping sure will be an easy job on that batch!
To follow up; After about 24 hours continuous run of the dehumidifier and extraction the honey showed 17% moisture. Wish I had done a representative sample before to confirm what the honey moisture content would have been had I not predried it some while still in the comb.

Anyhow I found it no big deal to stack up supers so the dehumidifier can blow under and throw a tarp over them for a day or so. I emptied out over a gallon but my tent was not very air tight. I dont think that all came from the 4 medium supers. Trying to dry down honey once it is in pails is a lot harder.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts