Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally going to have a chance to harvest honey this weekend. I am a small timer so just 1 super.

Forcast is calling for a 60% chance of rain so here in Missouri that means it will probably be a bit humid.

Will it be ok to do so?

My plan is to pull the frames from the hive and put into a large tote. Then take container and frames to my basement to be extracted. I have a dehumidifier running in my basement at all times so my basement is dry. It will take me about 15 minutes from start taking frames from hive to having them in my basement.

Will there be any problem in doing this or do I need to wait for a dry, less humid day?

Only reason I am asking this question is I have read somewhere it is bad to harvest on a rainy day.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
if the honey is mostly all capped you will be fine. put the wet frames back on the hive. if you get them back in a couple of hours the bees will not even notice.

·
Registered
7,678 Posts
99% capped would give a person so much peace of mind! Sometimes it just aint gonna happen though. What then? 75% capped has been trouble free for me and my son but we are not in high humidity climate usually. I would say that the original poster should not worry about the weather if he is doing the uncapping and extracting in the dehumidified basement. Probably far less humid than the hive conditions.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Pulled supers in pouring rain twice times this year. Weren't a problem. I have put them supers in a dry and warm room overnight and extracted the next day. Honey was as dry as can be.

You need a dehumidifier and take care of relative humidity. Related to the room temperature. Honey draws water when the temperature/humidity is greater than:

10°C/50°F = 54 % rel. humid.
20°C/68°F = 60 % rel. humid.
30°C/86°F = 70 % rel. humid.
34°C/93°F = 75 % rel. humid.
40°C/104°F = 55 % rel. humid.

So the colder the room temperature the drier the air has to be so honey does not draw water. At 34°C/93°F honey does not take any water at all but does not loose much either. If you want to dry honey a little the best temperature is 30°C/86°F and a 50 to 60 % rel. humid. Capped honey or not, both honey combs types dry in such a condition.

So buy a thermometer and a hygrometer, it is a very good investion. Be aware of the table above and you're fine. Any weather. Just work quick, get the supers warm into the house and keep them in a hot room for a while for them to dry.

Bernhard

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the advice. We are just at a 50% chance of rain for tomorrow so I will make sure to pull them when it is not raining. Guess the humidity had me more worried than the rain.

My basement is between 65 and 70 degrees and thanks to my dehumidifier it is dry.

Only other question I have is can I pull the frames from the hive and go straight to my basement and start extracting right away or do I need to wait a bit? This entire super is completely capped.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would use a extra bee box with cover on bottom & top to transport the frames. I extracted some last week. I only had one empty box left that I filled. I put some extra frames that wouldn't fit in the box into the plastic tote. the frames in the tote leaning on each other damaged some of the wax caps on the sealed frames making a small mess.

I put my boxes/frames in a old upright commercial freezer that I converted to a hot box I set the temp to 110 F. and extract the next day.

I think it would be best to extract as soon as possible if you are not going to warm them & put the wet frames back on the hives the same day, fwiw my area has very low humidity

·
Registered
2 Posts
Pulled supers in pouring rain twice times this year. Weren't a problem. I have put them supers in a dry and warm room overnight and extracted the next day. Honey was as dry as can be.

You need a dehumidifier and take care of relative humidity. Related to the room temperature. Honey draws water when the temperature/humidity is greater than:

10°C/50°F = 54 % rel. humid.
20°C/68°F = 60 % rel. humid.
30°C/86°F = 70 % rel. humid.
34°C/93°F = 75 % rel. humid.
40°C/104°F = 55 % rel. humid.

So the colder the room temperature the drier the air has to be so honey does not draw water. At 34°C/93°F honey does not take any water at all but does not loose much either. If you want to dry honey a little the best temperature is 30°C/86°F and a 50 to 60 % rel. humid. Capped honey or not, both honey combs types dry in such a condition.

So buy a thermometer and a hygrometer, it is a very good investion. Be aware of the table above and you're fine. Any weather. Just work quick, get the supers warm into the house and keep them in a hot room for a while for them to dry.

Bernhard
Thank you for sharing this..I’ve printed this out and put it in my Bee 🐝 folder👏

1 - 8 of 8 Posts