Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay.

I know our bees are unpredictable, and I am getting used to that by reading all of your posts.

This weekend I split a hive, and destroyed the queen. I now have no queen (will raise two), and two deeps.

On one of the deeps, the bees are hanging out on the outside (bearding). The really odd this is they're staying there overnight. The temps during the day have been in the 90s. Neither of my other two hives are doing this, nor is the other half of the split. They stay there overnight when temps drop down to the high sixties.

Odd I think.

What do you think?

DG

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
I bet the one that's bearding is at the original location
all the field bees went back to it so it has a big population but now it's only physically half as big
(they're crowded)
if that's the case try switching their locations to equalize the population of the two hives

Dave

·
Registered
126 Posts
Don't worry about it.
I bet the split with the staying-out-overnight-bees is on the place of the original hive?
The bees outside are the "old ladies" of foragers.
They don't like it to have it warm and prefer to stay outside.
This doesn't matter, it's common in summer ;)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ahh!

That makes a good deal of sense.

I'll give it a whirl. If that doesn't work, I'm going to be sewing an awful lot of flannel jammies for the bees. They must be chilly at night.

DG

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Just go out and kick the box after dark and open the top.

Guanteed to get them HOT.

Otherwise, paste little numbers on them and tell all the odd numbered ones to go to the other hive. :rolleyes:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts