Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been struck with an interest in setting up an apiary in my back yard. My local bylaws would permit a maximum of two colonies and require a solid 6ft minimum fence.

I have a 50x150ft corner lot which unfortunately has an elementary school across the street. (Hive and fence would be hidden from sight, but would be roughly 70ft from the playground)

Would it be reckless or irresponsible to locate a hive in my back yard?

Second thought - my wife has a small dog. How much buffer would you recommend setting up the fence for so that bees don't feel that she's a risk to the hive?

Many thanks for the thought :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Would a 10 x 10 chain link fence with slated fence boards work? There are many schools incorporating bee hives on their property

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks for the thought! I would like the chain link option, though unfortunately, my local bylaw stipulates "a solid 1.8m high fence...".

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Out of sight is the best option IMHO, no sense asking for a meet and greet with a local Chicken Little complex.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Out of sight is the best option IMHO, no sense asking for a meet and greet with a local Chicken Little complex.
If your referring to the school I was not suggesting that, simply stating that schools have them so he should be able to

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Sorry, comment wasn't addressed toward any post. It's just areas with high traffic can frequently have someone overreacting on what maybe unfounded or misinformed fears. Unfortunately bees, snakes, some dog breeds, etc can have strong stigmas/fears associated with their mere presence; my point was to keep any visual stimuli as minimal as possible. An out of sight, out of mind approach.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
If your referring to the school I was not suggesting that, simply stating that schools have them so he should be able to
I was looking into the option of putting swarm traps on local campuses k-12. Florida has prohibited beehives on campus.

Go with a solid fence. It will be worth the investment to not have to deal with someone who wants to control your hobby.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Florida has prohibited beehives on campus.
I was really surprised the other weekend when I was on the Univ of MA Amherst campus and came upon two hives in a garden next to one of the dining commons. Great to see.

Did AHB figure into the FL ban or was it just the usual bee fears?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I was really surprised the other weekend when I was on the Univ of MA Amherst campus and came upon two hives in a garden next to one of the dining commons. Great to see.

Did AHB figure into the FL ban or was it just the usual bee fears?
I don't know the reason or when the law was enacted. I suspect it is the fear of allergies and lawsuits. K-12 has different limits than higher education.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts