Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in my second year of beekeeping and my dad has become fascinated with it too. He found a feral hive in one of his pastures and for more than a year now has been going down there nearly every day to watch them and he feeds them. I was making swarm boxes this year so we decided to put one down near his hive. We used a plan from one of the other beeks here for an eight frame swarm box. Dad is not a carpenter. So when it wasn't perfectly square he blamed the ply board I picked out. I gave him an old frame of partially drawn comb to put in there and some LGO. He didn't put it out for a long time b/c he just couldn't see how anything would want to live in this out of square box. (I told him the bees didn't care) He had decided to dump some sugar in the box too and apparently it helped because when we checked it the other day there was one heck of a swarm in it and nothing in my sugarless box. I was actually about to bring him a swarm I had caught on Ft. Wood when he said "lets go check the box." Dad's been busy building new fence so he hadn't checked it in a few weeks....I had to do a cut-out. lol VERY healthy hive. He is soooo excited to have these bees!! He just retired so now he has more time to watch them he says. I've lost track of how many times he has told me how excited he is. Those will be some spoiled bees. :) Another addict. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
That's a great way to get started! Now, time to order some bee catalogues from Kelley's, Dadant's, Mann Lake, etc etc so he can get ready to harvest some honey next year! And the catalogues make great fall and winter reading, too! :D
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I gave him my catalogues a while back....I think he looks at the Dadant everyday. lol He's rubbing it in to that his swarm trap caught a swarm and mine didn't! Amazing that they decided on his even though it wasn't square lol! I like getting local bees and dad didn't have to drop $120 bucks on a package of bees from who knows where. Thanks everyone!! :)

·
Registered
507 Posts
What an awesome story! Thanks for sharing. Yes, it's exciting helping someone become a new beek. More so if it's your Dad. Way to go!

:applause::applause::applause:

·
Registered
502 Posts
Great story and thanks for sharing! I think that this hobby will be better yet combined with some woodworking. More pride enhancement... Take care and have fun!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ha well, dad's woodworking skills are a little lacking.... He probably better just buy the equipment or maybe he can assemble some.....maybe...:rolleyes:
He retired but still makes some runs for his boss and he had to leave out on the road last night and just couldn't stand it. Mom still made him leave. :lookout:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh, he is a retired truck driver but he still takes loads on occasion. Its time for them to start buying hay so mom made dad take a load. But he didn't want to go and leave his bees. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts