Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wondering if I made a newbie mistake this fall.

When I was doing my fall chores this year, I had some leftover protein patties, and I just thru them on the hives this past October. I had a bunch of protein sitting around so I gave all my hives a big chunk of the stuff.

Now reading that protein is a way to stimulate brood production and it's something that I may want to introduce in late Feb (for my area).

Think I did any damage with adding the fall patties?

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
I put them on in September into October here, as I have a fall dearth, so I stimulate them in the fall for obtaining young nurse bees going into winter. I start getting early spring flows with pollen, but it's fall where my area is shy. I would think it would depend on the flows in your area, but I can't see where giving them as you did would cause any harm at all, and most likely caused some good.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
It's a good idea. Many beeks do it. In fall when little pollen is coming they are still making "winter bees" and that requires protein.

dickm

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
No problem at all. You added the patties about the same time the bees were bringing in the late Goldenrod and Aster pollen, so you just gave them a little help.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Pokerman, wonderd about the same thing, talked to Mann Lake and the gal said won't hurt to leave a patty in place because it'll be there when the queen starts laying in the spring. Took the advice of the sages, we'll both see eh?

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
I've heard commercial beekeepers say you get the most bang for your buck by feeding protein patties in the fall, as opposed to any other time of the year. And even if the bees don't eat all the patty in the fall, they will start eating it again after they move up in the spring.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
This is something I've started doing, in part because a lot of the experts and scholarly types tell me it's a good thing.

I'm going around now adding pollen/protein patties anticipating the spring. By the time it gets warm enough in the spring to open the hives, there's plenty of natural pollen coming in.

Next year I'm going to try and do it a little earlier.

Grant
Jackson, MO

1 - 8 of 8 Posts