Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soon many of you will have honey to take off. Don't make the mistake I made as a new beek. Working honey outside in the daylight WILL END IN DISASTER ! They will come to claim their honey and they will play "HARD-BALL !
Even indoors, you must be sure the room is bee-tight ! I used to extract on an open porch. I did it at night. That works great. Your extractor must be well anchored ! I hosed the porch down when I finished. I put the empty supers back on the hives before morning.
This is not necessarily obvious to new beeks.

·
Registered
Possum Valley, TN Bee Wrangler
837 Posts
So true, even taking of honey supers you need to work quick and with diligence. Try harvesting honey in the fall of the year or during a dearth;)

Glad to see another TN beek on here!!

G3

·
Registered
374 Posts
I think this thread would be more interesting if you shared the details of your disaster. Something to the the effect of a horde of robbing bees descending on you while extracting outdoors, like something out of a Hitchcock movie?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a long story. I inherited my grandfather's super-hot German bees. A beek friend of his took the honey off for me and left me to take it from there. Not knowing any better, I cut the combs out outside in the daylight. You can imagine the MESS ! I had a large container of seething honey and drowning ROBBER bees ! We couldn't even go out of the house. After several days and many stings they finally robbed it all out and things got back to normal.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
If you have a honey house, locate your extractor in one darkened end and have a low-rpm window fan at the far end with an daylight source. The bees will go toward the light and the fan will remove them. I extract in my barn in daylight with one of those huge fans in the doorway, blowing outward.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts