Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been playing with a hive in a Hackberry tree, removing some bees and now trapping it out. Going slowly, but that is another issue.

Trap is in the complete shade all day and about 6 feet off the ground.

The bees are making propolis that is very soft sort of like fresh chewed gun and it about as sticky. It also is stringy like taffy and you can stretch it a 1/4 inch or so. There is actually a couple drops in the bottom of the trap box that is soft like hot tar. Not quite running but very soft.

None of it between the frames is firm like in my other hives. Never seen anything like this, does anyone else seen something like this.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
A lot of fall propolis resembles what you describe. I scraped some while extracting today. Every day in a bee hive is just like Christmas! Ya never know what you gonna get!

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
I've seen it but I'm not sure what the primary source is. A couple of years ago one of my colonies reduced their top entrance to the width of a bee or two. The propolis was shaped like a doughnut around the entrance and it was soft and real sticky. Quite interesting.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
There are different kinds of propolis. There is stuff like flypaper where you can't let go of the frame. There is stuff like a rock (at lest when it's not hot). There is the stuff like taffy. Then there are the various colors...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts