Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
The only 2 things I know to do with it are to eat it(health benefits, just look it up online) or to sell it. It's used in cosmetics and alot of other things.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Biggest problem in Medicine today is MRSA. That is (from memory)Methicin Resistant Staphlococcus Aurea. The only thing that kills Staphlococcus Aurea on contact is propolis. BTW the major cause of tooth decay is also SA. The problem is to figure a way to deliver it in an oral medication and deliver to the site of the infection.

Right now a gum made from propolis will stop cavities from forming. The rest is an exciting future for all of us.

Hawk

·
Registered
971 Posts
I think the British have some toothpaste with propolis in it.
It is also used in High grade varnish, like the stuff used on musical instruments (ie; violins). A year or so there was a guy on the east coast wanting to buy it for that purpose, the ad was in the "want to buy" forum.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Guess that's why all Brits have yellow teeth eh? Kidding! I had thought propolis gum would be a good idea except you'd have to do something about the taste and that fact that it stains (teeth included). I harvest a little from my hives every year and make tincture out of it. It's just the thing for cuts/scratches and when you put a couple drops of it on a sugar cube and chew it, sore throats are history.

Good stuff.
Mike

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Fern Mike,
Will you share the recipe? I've had a sore throat for 2 weeks and just cleaned frames today. I've an 1/8 cup propolis.

Waya

·
Registered
971 Posts
"Bee Keeping for Dummies"=50/50 by weight grain alcohol (EVER CLEAR or any 100 proof) an oven safe glass jar. Mix ground propolis and alcohol in jar (loosely replace the lid on the jar) place in oven at 200 degrees shake every 20 minuets until Propolis is dissolved strain and use. Keep in a dark brown bottle.
You now have a tincture of propolis. :D

[ March 03, 2006, 11:15 PM: Message edited by: SilverFox ]

·
Registered
335 Posts
<<190 proof >>

Sounds like a perfect remedy for a sore throat to me. Couple of shots of that and I wouldn't feel anything from the lower mandible down....

·
Registered
144 Posts
In the Bushy Mountain Bee Catalog page 52 they have a 10 Frame propolis trap for sale. At the end of the add it says you can sell your propolis to Beehive Botanicals at 1-800-283-4274

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the recipe. Anyone know what they do to make it into toothpaste?

Here are some thoughts:

Taste: my hive's propolis tastes like cinnamon and kava...not unpleasant, but doesn't stay together as gum ought to when I chew it. How might you make it stay together to make a nice gummy consistency?

I'll try adding more wax after doing some filtering. Vanilla might be a nice flavor for it.

Lots of bee parts in the propolis I scraped off the top bars and excluder. I think the alcohol extraction will be necessary.

Grinding: how do you grind it? My propolis is more like wax. I could freeze and toss in the blender, I guess.

I made some cold cream with wax, mineral oil and water and a bit of borax...I don't like the greasy feel, but my girlfriend uses it as a skin cream and thinks it makes her skin softer. She might be right. I am going to try making a similar thing with olive oil and propolis, see what happens.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts