Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is a dumb question but newbee here and can't find any info on this topic, here or elsewhere! I am starting my first hive right now and using a top feeder. In the future, I'd like to use a propolis trap but since those replace the inner cover (which I don't use since I employ a top feeder), I'm not sure if it's possible to use one at all. Are there any propolis traps that are designed for use with a top feeder? Any suggestions for a newb? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I would go with one or the other. Depending on the bee type they will not collect to much propolis until the fall, and if they have enough stores you will not need to feed them in the fall.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Most of the year you will not need the feeder. And shouldn’t be on the hive. Some places do very little feeding. Why are you feeding? Hopefully for things like getting started drawing out comb getting them going. After that it managing how much honey yo leave. I use more sugar for candy boards than any other way of feeding.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, elmer_fud! I don't know quite what to expect - was hoping to collect propolis more often than just the fall but maybe I don't need to be feeding as much as I thought anyway...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was definitely planning to feed them for a jump start on drawing out new comb when they get transferred from the nuc to their new hive. Then I also planned to feed when needing to medicate (if/when needed). I admit, I don't know a ton about candy boards, pollen patties, etc. and the benefit of feeding those over syrup, although I planned to go with grease patties - if not year-round, then certainly going into fall/winter. Any advice on the feeding schedule for someone here in central NC?? Temperate climate for the most part.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts