Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend that is a health nut and wants me to collect some propolis. Has anyone tried one of these traps?
http://www.mikesbeesandhoney.com/product/900

Seems from what I read the ones with the slats tend to break when frozen and pounded.

I was thinking of using the Sundance II as a top entrance trap for pollen. Any negative comments on that one?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I use the Sundance top trap. I love it. Does not collect much trash. But it is expensive.
As far as propolis we use screens between the hive and lids, and they cover it with propolis. When it gets cold we take them off and scrape the screens off.
Hope this helps:lookout::lookout:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have to use screens that are approved to touch food products? You can't just use screens made for windows and doors can you?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
well, let's put it this way, ask the company selling that "propolis trap" to show you the food contact approved label...... let me know how that works out.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
If you have a friend who just needs a little pollen you can get it from scrapings in honey supers and boxes. Just be certain to not get it with wood splinters in it. We run plastic pollen traps (common ones from dadant). Easy to use, freeze em bend (carefully) onto a large catch (meat wraping, clean table top).

We've run quite a few pollen traps and by far like the dadant cedars the best. Good clean pollen and easy on the bees. Easy collection with a side drawer as well.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Curious how much propolis would you expect to get off one of those plastic propolis traps? Any idea how many ounces on average?

·
Registered
118 Posts
WHAT SCREEN for "homemade" propolis traps?

Do you roll up and freeze to harvest propolis, or? Has anyone compared this to the store bought ones?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts