Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
Making second batch of the grain alcohol/propolis tincture.
20200213_074600.jpg

I am taking it proactively now days (influenza, etc) - 1/4 teaspoon per day (mix the tincture in water and drink it).
So far I did not get sick yet this winter (a common occurrence for me - a couple of times per winter).

Two of the kids got sickly so far - this is what they get from me too - propolis tincture, no IFs or BUTs.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Making second batch of the grain alcohol/propolis tincture.
View attachment 53619

I am taking it proactively now days (influenza, etc) - 1/4 teaspoon per day (mix the tincture in water and drink it).
So far I did not get sick yet this winter (a common occurrence for me - a couple of times per winter).

Two of the kids got sickly so far - this is what they get from me too - propolis tincture, no IFs or BUTs.
:) Reminds me when I was a child my brothers and ?I lined up taking a spoonful of cod liver oil EVERYDAY before school; no ifs or buts either!

·
Super Moderator
5,677 Posts
At least the propolis tincture has alcohol in it. Cod liver oil, yuck.

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
At least the propolis tincture has alcohol in it. Cod liver oil, yuck.
Wife was becoming concerned with me serving "alcohol" to the kids.

I went like:
Honey, our home-made sourdough bread and kefir all have natural booze in them too.
And we love the stuff.
That's what the normal fermentation does.
LOL.

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
Made my initial batches with 95% ethanol.

But now I think this may have been a minor error, because some of the propolis components dissolve well in water, but no so much in ethanol (per my readings).
And so the 95% extracts are not the most potent.

The next batch I will do in 70% ethanol.
Here is just one reference as to "why":
extractions with a 70% solution of alcohol as the most active
http://www.fao.org/3/w0076e/w0076e14.htm

How to make 70% ethanol from standard 95% ethanol (e.g. Everclear).
to make 70% ethanol from 95% ethanol, take 70 mL of 95% ethanol and add enough water to bring the volume to 95 mL. You will then have 95 mL of 70% ethanol.
http://stainsfile.info/prepare/preserve/preservative-ethanol70.htm

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Made my initial batches with 95% ethanol.

But now I think this may have been a minor error, because some of the propolis components dissolve well in water, but no so much in ethanol (per my readings).
And so the 95% extracts are not the most potent.

The next batch I will do in 70% ethanol.
Here is just one reference as to "why":

http://www.fao.org/3/w0076e/w0076e14.htm

How to make 70% ethanol from standard 95% ethanol (e.g. Everclear).

http://stainsfile.info/prepare/preserve/preservative-ethanol70.htm
I used 151 pure grain Alcohol 75% I think, feels wild on your skin,, first the cool from the Alcohol then the tacky from the propolis. only tasted it looks like i could drink it..
GG

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
Do you think it would be useful if we swallow propolis raw?
People do it, but for better absorption reasons, it is best to have propolis in finely-pulverized structure - powder or tincture/solution products.

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
So very timely with the COVID - I got lots of propolis tincture handy.
Have been taking it daily every morning.
Get 1/4 teaspoon of tincture, mix with cold water, and down it.
Not a single cold yet this year (unusual for me).

·
Registered
20 Posts
I made tincture with everclear after freezing the propolis and pulverizing twice. I then added the two ingredients to a half pint jar placed a lid on it, and shook the jar daily. There was always sediment that would settle to the bottom. After 1-2 weeks I poured the mixture through a strainer and then again through a coffee filter. Anything that comes in contact is difficult to clean so be careful. I then put the filtered tincture into an eye dropper. (It reminds me of cleaning paint brushes and ending up with a mess) I put the mixture directly on scrapes and have placed directly On questionable teeth that were sensitive to hot and cold. Its very strong and feels like it is removing skin on your gums, but doesn't. I would mix with water, but am sure it would leave residue on the glass and make for a difficult cleanup. It also wants to seal up the threads on the eye dropper making it difficult to open. I like how it seals a cut and reminds me of that stuff they used to sell called nu-skin. I will experiment more this winter when I have more time, but wanted to share my experience so far.

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
....am sure it would leave residue on the glass and make for a difficult cleanup. It also wants to seal up the threads on the eye dropper making it difficult to open. I like how it seals a cut and reminds me of that stuff they used to sell called nu-skin. I will experiment more this winter when I have more time, but wanted to share my experience so far.
Indeed, when I consume it with water, some propolis will stick to the mug/glass walls.

However, I add more water and rinse it off/scrape with a spoon and and drink some more.
Whatever is still sticking - use a little baking soda - all it takes to remove clean.
The glasses/mugs used are cleanable just fine and not a show-stopper.
Such minutia should not be stopping people from taking the propolis.

As the cold/flu season is setting in again, I will be using my tincture (prepared lots of it).
Also have been putting propolis away; have to have a good stash.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts