Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a good way to get proplis off you clothes. I get on my jeans and it drives my wife cazy. She says you have runied another pair .

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
So it's on the inside of your washing machine, JRG?

Here's an idea. Coveralls. Or, clothes you work bees in and nothing else. Does your wife expect you to work your bees and wear the same clothes to Church or to dine out at a restaurant? Protect your clothing or have a dedicated set of pants and shirt. (why is pants plural? the plural of pants is pants, right?)

Once you ruin another pair, does Mrs. Ted toss them?

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
dedicated bee yard clothes. As the weather warms you will find more and more propolis sticking to just about everything, not just yourself. I guess im a little messy, but I find it on the driveway in the car, and on the floor.

I havn't found a way to remove it once ground in to the weave. Washing in hot water seems to remove some but the stain is still in-place. Propolis is alcohol soluble, you could try soaking it for a few days while occasionally massaging the fiber, freezing propolis turns it brittle. You can try freezing the area and racking the cloth.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Also, wash your propolis covered clothing by itself. Do not wash bee cloths with your wife's nice cloths, especially her favorite white blouse.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Do you have one of those "gubmint sponsored save the earth energy and water saving, sorry piece of junk" front load washing machines? The ones that save so much water and electricity that your clothes have to be washed 2-3 times just to be considered clean enough to wear?

We have one and I HATE, HATE, HATE it. I'm in the market for a 25 year old top load. One of the ones that waste water and burn lots of electricity.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I haven't tried this but a good way to get propolis off of excluders is to freeze them and then bang them on something. Would it work on clothes?

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I recall our microbiology labs, and the advice the professor gave regarding Gram stain: "The only way this stuff comes out of your clothes is with scissors."

Personally, I feel so inadequate when I show up with a bright clean new bee suit. The experienced beeks all have nasty-looking jackets and maybe their oldest jeans. Wear it with pride.

Brad, you can still get the older models. Inexpensive, don't use as much water as a toploader, clean better than anything on the market.

https://www.lehmans.com/p-2641-lehm...ampaign=2641&gclid=COaYgZnW8L0CFeRlOgodIWoA-g

·
Registered
561 Posts
I plant large gardens, work on equipment, clean my own deer and fish, trap beavers for hire, use a lot of wood glue and pressure wash my buildings. My wife don't complain about propolis stains.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Do those come with a new wife too? Pretty sure that's the only way I would get one of those to work at my house.
I think when you show it to her she'll head straight for a divorce lawyer, and your only defense would be to say you got it expressly so you could clean your own prophylized work clothes.

They do claim, and it may well be so, that those old washboards will remove stains no machine will.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My specialized bee clothes are the military ACU (Army Combat Uniform). I get them from my brother who is also a beekeeper. Propolis blends in and maybe the bees can't see me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would think a greaser like purple stuff and boiling water . Try getting a 5 gallon bucket spray pants with the purple power you get that at the auto store and poor the boiling water of it. Hope that helps =-)

·
Registered
157 Posts
We had a commercial beekeeper lady talk at a bee club meeting a couple of years ago. She recommended a product called Awesome. As I sit here looking at the bottle I see it has never been opened but her speech must have been good enough to make me buy it. I think I bought it at the dollar store.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts