Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at the Masonite inner covers that came with my hives. One side, the deep one, is smooth with about 3/8" of space to the face of it's frame and the other is rough with about 3/16" of space. I have been using them with the deep side down, for no reason other than I thought the burr comb would be more easily removed from the smooth surface. Could someone please tell me the purpose for two sides of different spacing and when to put one side or the other up?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Hm....my inner cover have the notch [top entrance]...so there would be no mistake, putting
that side down...where is your top entrance?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These covers came with no notch. They seem to collect a lot of moisture because of this. I would like to notch them for ventilation and a top entrance/exit but, I am trying to better understand the intention of the different spacing. I do not really run the risk of the bottom entrance being blocked by snow or grass in my climate. I would like the top entrance/exit anyways.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Some manufacturers split the bee space between top and bottom, others put it all on the bottom, so the frames are flush with top of the box. In this case the 3/8" goes down. The notch is always on the 3/8, no room for the bees to get out otherwise.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I cut a notch 3/8ths x 2 inches on the side that has thicker wood. In the summer the notch is up, in the winter the notch is down.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
toss 'em and use a top entrance-simplify your life! good luck,mike

·
Registered
817 Posts
I use big side down when a pollen pattie is used or leave the large or big side up for less burr comb and a place for dry sugar in the winter

1 - 9 of 9 Posts