Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using a product I found on the market called "HiveAlive" this spring. I started using it again for summer feeding. I'm beginning to think that this product isn't all that it's cracked up to be. One thing I've noticed a couple of times is when I feed bees sugar syrup with HiveAlive I've noticed bees out in the grass walking away from the hive. I made some splits recently with some queens emerging. So far it appears that feeding the splits didn't help any but rather killed them. I'm thinking the best thing to feed is strait sugar syrup with no additive.

On a different note I would recommend Ultrabee pollen substitute. Bees seem to do really well with that stuff.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,882 Posts
I've been using a product I found on the market called "HiveAlive" this spring. I started using it again for summer feeding. I'm beginning to think that this product isn't all that it's cracked up to be. One thing I've noticed a couple of times is when I feed bees sugar syrup with HiveAlive I've noticed bees out in the grass walking away from the hive. I made some splits recently with some queens emerging. So far it appears that feeding the splits didn't help any but rather killed them. I'm thinking the best thing to feed is strait sugar syrup with no additive.

On a different note I would recommend Ultrabee pollen substitute. Bees seem to do really well with that stuff.
I will second both of those thoughts. Feeding additives, outside of medications, are not necessary. Ultrabee pollen sub is the best on the market IMO.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts