Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone found and exterminated a feral hive in an irrigation handhole in my neighborhood. I tried to melt the combs by warming in water like I had seen on some Youtube videos. After what I thought was proper heating, without boiling, I poured it through a strainer into a pot. Let it set overnight, etc. The problem is the wax rose, but never solidified. Do you encounter that if there is too much larvae and uncapped honey in the comb to start with? Any other clues. I've done a search on this site but have not found it specifically addressed.
thanks,

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
If it was wax that melted, it would have resolidified unless the water is over 147 degrees yet. Was a chemical used to exterminate the bees? What was your plan for the wax?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it was wax that melted, it would have resolidified unless the water is over 147 degrees yet. Was a chemical used to exterminate the bees? What was your plan for the wax?
It set overnight, and as I'm in AZ, got to around 60 degrees. Never solidified so I reheated and strained again, this time drawing off more water on bottom before heating. After setting again overnight and the next day (24 hours), it did not solidify, so I put in turned down fridge. No change. It has the consisency of a soft pudding. A spray was used, but just in the entrance hole which did not get directly on a significant, if any part of the comb. I was wanting to mix the wax with BLO and turpentine for handle dressing.

·
Registered
419 Posts
What did they exterminate the hive w/? Good possibility the wax was coated w/ whatever it was and it is now in solution w/ the wax.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
The spray in the entrance could have been pyrethrin and harmless in residue or Sevin and death to bees forever. I would put the mess in the garbage and I tend to keep everything. Wax would have turned back to a solid at temperatures too hot for you to touch! What you have is not a reusable substance whatever it is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Honey was definitely in the comb, not a lot,but maybe 10 cubic inches that was capped, and some that was uncapped. Would honey alone keep it from solidifying? I can say it appeared more runny than I remembered.(It has been about 25 years since I owned a few hives). The person used a can of spray to exterminate them, and since it went through a small opening, the liquid out of the can would have been isolated to a small amount of comb. The aerosol or fumes obviously permeated all the comb. The larvae appeared to stay together while being heated. So I think we are down to it being honey in the comb, the spray, or combination of both.

·
Registered
Bee Wrangler
733 Posts
When you melt that conglomerate of mess, pour it into a container that has a couple of inches of water in the bottom, for the most part the honey will be on the bottom and the wax will be on the top. Got any pics of this stuff?

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
Why would you even want to deal with wax contaminated with an unknown poison ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts