Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the beginning of this year I bought an oxalic acid wand and a new battery. I used the wand in the spring and it worked fine for my 5 hives. Now, I'm in the process of using it again for fall. This morning I used it on 3 hives and then came back in the afternoon to do the rest.

The wand warmed up but the oxalic acid just didn't form the vapor. When I took it out of the hive the OA was still in the bowl and looked dry and a bit stiff. What is causing it not to heat up or is there a problem with the OA?

Not sure what to do now. I did check the battery and charged it but it didn't need much. Don't think that's the problem.

Could it be the OA if the lid wasn't fully sealed in storage? Can the wand get encrusted and not work?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,676 Posts
Just like with jumping a car battery, I would suspect you had a bad connection at the battery terminals that caused this problem. Can't think of anything else besides a wiring problem with the wand. Try again with some OA but not in the hive, out in the open so you can observe what happens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,854 Posts
Just like with jumping a car battery, I would suspect you had a bad connection at the battery terminals that caused this problem. Can't think of anything else besides a wiring problem with the wand. Try again with some OA but not in the hive, out in the open so you can observe what happens.
What JP said is your first step with a fully charged battery. If it gets hot but doesn't vaporize, I suspect your OA has too much moisture. Last thing I would suspect is the wand, given its age.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,663 Posts
Not getting a good connection if you know your battery is charged good.If your oa has moisture it will still boil off.Remember they will get hot enough to char your wood.I have had problems with them not getting good connections on the wires,clips and on the heating element.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,313 Posts
Not getting a good connection if you know your battery is charged good.If your oa has moisture it will still boil off.Remember they will get hot enough to char your wood.I have had problems with them not getting good connections on the wires,clips and on the heating element.
Agreed. OA could be put on the wand soaking wet, and it would still work - it'd just take longer. There's either a bad connection somewhere or perhaps an inadequate battery.
LJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
605 Posts
All good advice above. I would load it with the right dose of OA and time it out in the open. It should take about 2 minutes or so.
This sounds like a low voltage problem to me. I don't know how old your battery is, but even new batteries can go bad. They will show full voltage but lag badly under load. You could charge it over night to make sure it's fully charged, then take it to you automotive shop and have them do a load test on it. That's the only reliable way to test a battery.
When I'm doing OA, I keep some water handy, and a turkey baster. After a treatment, I squirt some water into the bowl to cool it off, but it also steams off any baked on residue so the bowl is clean for the next treatment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I looked at the connections and they have some residue on them. I'll take the 2 connections apart and clean them. I was thinking of using carburetor cleaner. Is that good?

gnor answered another of my unasked questions about cleaning the bowl.

I'll try another battery just to check it out. One of my mower batteries...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
551 Posts
baking soda and water, I used to have the same trouble, after 3 hives the battery needs charging again, I was using a lawn mower battery though.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top