Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed two nucs last Tuesday. One is fine, the other however, came with a dead queen. I called my supplier that night, and they said they'd take care of it. Couple of days go by, I hadnt heard from the PO, so on Friday I started making calls. My supplier basically says they have passed it on to their supplier. So I call his supplier to get an update, and it turns out theres a shortage of Queens, and they were hoping to be ship by the beginning of this week. Call back today, they are still behind, and hope to be able to ship by the end of the week. So my bees have been without a queen since 4/1 (at least), and likely wont have one until at the earliest 4/14. Factoring in that the queen needs to be caged for several days to a week, the hive will likely be without a laying queen for 20 days. I paid extra for the nuc to give the bees a head start. Im going to call my direct supplier back, and I need some realistic opinions on what my options are.

Thanks,
Andrew

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
How many frames of brood?? Are there a good number of bees in the Nuc?

You could let them raise their own queen and ask for a refund.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It came with 4 frames of Brood & Food. It didnt seem like the frames were overflowing with brood, and there were definately some drones. It seemed like a decent amount of bees when I installed it. I havent seen any queen cells.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
They should start some soon I would think.

Perhaps someone here has a queen for sale.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
IMHO most beekeeps don't look for queen cells started after the nuc was put together. I have had nucs that had 3-4 queen cells started when I put in the queen cage, and make it a habit to find and remove these before installing a queen. If these are allowed to hatch, it could cause the queen problems you are having.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hadn't considered the case of a 2nd queen. Would the bees still ball the queen cage? (They did). There were also no attendents in the cage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts