Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two hives that have two 10 frame boxes full of bees. My
problem is, I put a queen excluder and a super on both 2 weeks ago and they are not moving up into the super to build comb and store honey. What do you suggest?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
a few options
1. take the excluder off, put it back on after they start to draw/fill the super
2. put a frame of open brood in the super over the excluder

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Move a frame of open brood above the excluder. Make sure your queen isn't on it. Shake all the bees off if your not sure.

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
Drop the excluder for now. If the frames aren't drawn they won't cross it. You could end up with a swarm too as they don't have room to go up but have a large population. Once the deep is drawn they'll head above, especially if have some uncapped brood up there. After that they'll go up there all the time and simple consider the excluder as part fo the hive. I add a top entrance at that time as well. The one thing you MUST be aware of though is if there are eggs up there and an upper entrance they will raise a queen up there.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Heya -

I had the same thing happen to me last year...three rocking hives. I had to move to Atlanta for the year (my hives are in SW Wisconsin) so I threw an excluder and new Pierco frames in mediums on. I'd dream in Atlanta of all the honey I was going to get.

Yeah. Didn't happen. Apparently the girls get confused when presented with undrawn supers.

THIS year I swapped frames with a buddy of mine who regularly gets 100 pounds of honey from each of his hives (which, if I do the math correctly is 100 pounds per hive more than I got last year :D ) and skipped the excluders. It's working like a charm. I run a nine frame setup and the previously used frames are full on all my hives and the bugs are drawing their own comb on the Piercos.

So when the time comes to add additional supers, I'm told not to stack on top of the full ones but to add them with their undrawn frames BETWEEN the brood deeps and the full supers.

Hope this helps. I don't often get to chirp up with things that I know about beekeeping so I have to take advantage of the opportunities when they happen. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
D Coates are you saying if they have opening on the 2 nd deep with brood ,that they may raise queen ,,,even with out excluder,,just trying to learn here ,,thanks Chad

1 - 6 of 6 Posts