Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought some 12 oz bears and need to print some labels. I looked at what one supplier had and didn't like them and thought that I could do just as good with my printer. Does anyone print their labels from label stock that is readily available at an Office Max or other office supply store? Give me label number if you have it. Thanks, Pife

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I print all my own labels using Microsoft Publisher and Avery labels. Avery sells both ink jet and laser (blank) labels and costs vary. Laser looks a whole lot sharper! Check your local Staples or Officemax. But don't depend on them to carry every possible label in stock.

Depending on the size of the bottle, www.avery.com can guide you to pick the best fitting label. There's tons of on-line clip art.

All the best,

Grant
Jackson, MO

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
Avery also has free, downloadable software for designing and printing labels....with formats to fit their labels.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
We've been using oval labels from Rossman for bears and 1/2 lb jars.

I would like to pile on here. Does anyone know what kind of printer is used to produce label stock in rolls? My guess is that the machine is some sort of very expensive printing press that would be cost prohibitive. If this is the case, is it cost effective to use an Adobe Suite to produce the art work and have the rolls preprinted with art work?

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
I get my labels through a friend who has a publishing company. He farms out the actual production to a company that he knows through a catalog he has. I have seen this same catalog at the print shop who does other work for me. Go to your local printing shop, not Office Max, and see what they can do for you. Nice, simple labels for .10 or .15 each in rolls of 1,000.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just started printing labels this year. I used Online Labels http://www.onlinelabels.com/.

I don't know how their label design application compares to the others mentioned. I figured out how to use it and got it to do what I wanted. I found them very helpful and easy to work with. I sent in a help request for a problem I had printing and got an email back right away with a direct dial phone # to a local support person.

Somewhere on the web site they offer to send you a small sample of labels free to get you started. Sounds like there are lots of options.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Being that time of year I was looking at labels and realize that I posted the wrong Avery label number for 12 oz bears. The one that I use is 6871 for those. I can't edit the above post right now for some reason, but will try later to try to correct that.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I get my labels through a friend who has a publishing company. He farms out the actual production to a company that he knows through a catalog he has. I have seen this same catalog at the print shop who does other work for me. Go to your local printing shop, not Office Max, and see what they can do for you. Nice, simple labels for .10 or .15 each in rolls of 1,000.
There is the rub! We pay 12 cents per label, then you add a UPC, and another with an infant warning, etc., and we are near 20 cents. The glass jars and lids come to about 55 cents/each for 1 pound classic. The price of glass comes down by the truckload (not quite there yet) but how does one get the costs of labels down below say 10 cents for all? I could try and fit everything on one label but 12 cents for a little piece of paper seems excessive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts