Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for information on how this bee trap was used. I don't know if it was used inside the hive to keep the queen in one place or if it was meant to trap a queen outside the hive.

The middle hole has a sliding metal door:

Beneath each outer hole is a cone shaped wire screen, it's difficult to see but there is a hole in the bottom of the cone that is about 1/4" diameter:

Thanks for taking a look.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
If the drones can get through the excluder to get out can't they get back in. It looks like a pollen trap.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Old time drone trap. People use to think an excess drone population ate significantly into the honey crop. The trap is upside down in the pictures. The drones couldn't get out through the queen excluder material and would climb up through the wire cones, being trapped in the upper chamber. At evening time, you would go out & remove the trap from the hive, open up the metal door in the top of the trap & shake the drones out to sucumb to the cold night. It would also prevent the old queen from leaving with a swarm, but not virgins. Yikes! This post kind of dates me! I was a real young'in back then. It was real fun playing with all of those drones & scaring the living you know what out of my older sister's friends!::lpf:

SPRUCEBEE

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
I used to have a couple of those, "Queen and Drone Traps". I haven't yet, seen a queen, even a virgin, that could get through one.
Those who do Instrumental Insemination of Honey Bee Queens use those now for drone traps. The first time I ever saw one was at Sue Cobey's lab at UCDavis.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I seem to remember that the scientist that Brazil hired to cross breed African bees with European bees in the 1950s (to maintain productivity and eliminate the aggressiveness) used these to keep the queen in his hives of African bees from swarming. Saw it in a youtube documentary (must be true).

They worked fine until his assistant removed them and they swarmed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts