Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up several new hive bodies yesterday and wanted to start painting them this week. Should I use a primer - like KILZ - before I paint (wood is poplar)? Or just apply a latex paint directly?

·
Registered
194 Posts
If you're going to paint, then you should prime or use a paint that does not require primer, the "self-priming" exterior paints.

Grid.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
We stain dip the whole box then paint the outsides. Seems to work really well and is no mucho time involved.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have settled on a one paint that does all approach. I use Univar's Duramax Exterior Paint available from Lowe's ( no primer required ), it has high solids in the formulation that fills cracks in the woodenware easily, about $30. per gallon :pinch:

The cheapy way to go is check with Friends and Neighbors if they have leftover paints laying around, most everyone does these days. :lookout:

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Heck...get Lowes mis-tints. 5 gallon bucket is only $20 (gallon is $5) for premium Latex exterior. :eek:

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
If you want it to last I would be priming them. Zinner 123 is one of the better ones. I like one better from Glidden but I can't think of the name at the moment. The all for one paints I have never found one that work well. Kinda like the old Shop Smith they all most do a job well, but leave you very short in the long run. Just the views of a painting contractor

·
Registered
172 Posts
Heck...get Lowes mis-tints. 5 gallon bucket is only $20 (gallon is $5) for premium Latex exterior. :eek:
Home depot is priced the same... and $1 or $2 for a quart. WHere I am it's all interrior paint right now :-/ I have till mid april for oops to start showing up. MY dad has more or less convinced me to go with a stain anyway. (which also shows up on the oops rack, but not as frequently)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Thats what I do, but I go to the Sherwin Williams, Porter Paints, etc. You can get some darn rightous outdoor paint for a buck or two a gallon. For colors, white usually isn't available often so I keep my eyes peeled for green.. My hive color of choice.

When I originally started, I used to buy cheap paint, the cheapest I could find. It didn't last and took 2 - 3 coats. Some of that high dollar mis-tint stuff will put an awesome layer on the first coat..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts