Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay everyone, I need some help here.
I would like to know, generally, what is the going rate for an establised hive?
What does a 2 brood box, made it through the winter, turn key, healthy hive cost?
What does a first year established single brood box hive cost?
I'm not buying or selling- I'm writing a book, honest.
Thanks to all that take a minute to respond.
Ernie

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I paid 175 for a deep and a Medium last year for my dad.....

·
Registered
760 Posts
i sell my overwinter hives in doubles for $300 - and in the summer for $350 -

the people that buy in the summer are willing to pay that price because they cant get bees that late so they pay what ever i say

but most of the "high" price is the drawn comb
one guy i know sells drawn frames for $7 each - and i cant believe it but he sells lots of them ????
he had found his nitch in the system - seems to work

but for your book id write 250-300 on average

good luck with the book

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I'd think that's on the high side. I would have guessed $200-250, depending on demand. But I don't know, I'm not really into buying full hives.

For me, I know a 5 frame nuc costs $85, and I can get a 10 frame for $120 (ish). So that would be the extra 5 frames for $7 a frame (ish). So if that rate continued, I could get the second double for $70, making $190 total. But most of the time price doesn't increase linear like that.

It would depend on if the wood is included or not also. If you include the boxes, that easily increases the price by $50-80.

As far as selling the full drawn frames, $7 a frame makes sense. I wouldn't pay it, but if it takes 4 frames of honey to make one frame of wax, would you be willing to sell one frame of honey (just the honey though) for $1.75? That seems fair to me, but what do I know. :)

·
Registered
869 Posts
I have a Beek in just South of me that sells hives. His hives are registered and STRONG and are very productive. He sells a single deep established hive for $75 and a double deep for $150. When I first told my wife that I wanted to buy a hive from him, she was kinda of against it, but after I laid out the fact that a 3# package of bees were over $120. One hive body, lid, bottom board, frames and undrawn foundation was approx $71 at the local store without tax. So it's not hard to convince her when I want to buy another hive to let me get one if I want.
I did just get some off of Craigslist. The had gear, 2 singles and 2 doubles hves for $200. They thought only 1 double was still living. It was raining and too cold to really open the hives, buy a quick knock on the doubles gave me the impression that there were bees in both. When the weather warmed 2 days later and I opened them up, both doubles were FULL of bees, and brood. One single was empty, the other had a small cluster of bees, but no queen or brood. But it's still looking like it was a good deal.

Good luck with the book!
Craig

·
Registered
261 Posts
- best bang for buck was from 5 frame nuc sales. they go for $100+ here. I have heard as high as $135 in my area. for comparison, packages are going for around $70-75 this year...which i a bit cheaper then last year but its still a bit early.
- i sold a couple single deeps at $150 but don't do that often since nucs bring in better margin. I can also requeen my hives easier with available nucs in my yard.
- if i sold a double deep hive i would not accept anything less then $250 and that is if I am in a pinch or have more hives then I can manage...a good double deep can bring in $250 worth of honey per year if you play your cards right.

·
Registered
869 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Brenda,
The book is on how to keep bees naturally. The philosophy of the book is beekeeping from a “naturally sustaining the bees” point of view. I’m not a radical- I am most definitely a centrist. The bees are as important if not more important then “honey production at any cost” to the bees. I try to combine methods of honey production and keeping bees alive. In this book I am discussing in great detail the habits and needs of wild or feral bees and applying those characteristics into keeping bees in modern equipment. Nearly every ailment affecting the bees today has a natural solution and some of them the bees will do themselves if allowed to. Much of the methods are nothing new, I have just spent enormous amounts of time researching and experimenting to see how and why these methods apply to and work for the bees.
Thanks for asking,
Ernie

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
What's the book about?
Boy you can tell I was paying attention here :)

Hi Brenda,
The book is on how to keep bees naturally. The philosophy of the book is beekeeping from a “naturally sustaining the bees” point of view. I’m not a radical- I am most definitely a centrist. The bees are as important if not more important then “honey production at any cost” to the bees. I try to combine methods of honey production and keeping bees alive. In this book I am discussing in great detail the habits and needs of wild or feral bees and applying those characteristics into keeping bees in modern equipment. Nearly every ailment affecting the bees today has a natural solution and some of them the bees will do themselves if allowed to. Much of the methods are nothing new, I have just spent enormous amounts of time researching and experimenting to see how and why these methods apply to and work for the bees.
Thanks for asking,
Ernie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts