Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I texted and left a message with someone advertising 5 frame nucs on Craigs list. They finally texted me back with the price. $ 250 . I thought of about 100 snide replies to text back, but as I have learned that if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all I just ignored them. I will buy some bees elsewhere. Do these fools know how much honey people could buy for $ 250 ?

So what is the prices for nuc hives in your areas?

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
one of the Weavers in Tx offers them for $225, the other weaver $200
I see them here for 2-250
it is a realistic price in more markets than one might think.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I recently saw (on Craig's List also) a nuc advertised for $250 here in KS. I think they are just trying to take advantage of new beeks just starting out. Last spring nucs were going for $130 here.

·
Registered
154 Posts
$250 sounds more like the price of purchasing a single deep hive. This year our area ranged from $100 (bring your own box and 5 frames to trade in) to $150 (bring your own box). The $150 was on the extreme high end and average was around $120. If you still have their number I'll sell them nucs for $200, that would give them $50 profit and they wouldn't even have to raise the bees :D.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i bought one from G and S bees in albemarle nc in June I paid 125 but i had no frames to trade. With frames he gets
105.00 I was very pleased.

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
BeeWeaver in East and Central Texas sells nucs for $225.00/each. He sells hundreds of them each year. It's a five frame box that you can return for some rebate or keep if you want. His bees are mite resistant and doing well in that regard. Beekeepers at our local club sell nucs for 150 bucks each. I paid $370.00 for an established hive two weeks back. It was an eight frame deep, and an eight frame medium complete with bottom board, inner cover, and telescoping lid. The bottom box had four frames of brood and the top box had about six frames of honey stored. This hive was made up last summer with a nuc from a BeeWeaver queen. I needed this hive for an old pals water melon patch, and I was laid up in bed recovering from total knee replacement. This generous beekeeper hauled the hive 60 miles one way and set it up in the water melon patch. I think I stole the hive from this beekeeper, but he did not want more money.

Nucs here are from 125 to 225 bucks.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Do these fools know how much honey people could buy for $ 250 ?

So what is the prices for nuc hives in your areas?
Yeah, "these fools" know all sorts of things. Like, wasn't it PT Barnum who said, "There's a sucker born every minute."? Also, if you don't charge as much as you can you will never know how much you could get. You may sell fewer, but you will profit more on the ones you do sell.

As to your question, around here I hear $100.00 to $150.00 for a 5 frame nuc.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I'd say it depends on the time of the year too. Yes, a spring nuc goes for $100-150. Those nucs sell out, there are fewer available, and then it's a matter of supply and demand. Getting to be end of summer, yes, nucs could sell for $250. On the other hand.....one can always walk away from a purchase and wait until spring to aquire bees. They are seasonal creatures anyway and one bought now and placed into a 8/10frame box may have to be babied thru winter if no flow occurs.

·
Registered
150 Posts
at the local bee meeting there were some offered for $150. however i believe these were southern imports, so not even localized.

If i am not mistaken an overwintered Queen in a nuc is quite the layer?

Nice idea that about discounting for exchanging frames, might give that some thought, although it may be a way to introduce something you don't want in you apiary. I think i just gave it enough thought.

Man i hope i have a couple of spare $150 nucs to sell next spring.

G.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Bought two this spring for $140 each. The quality was, ah, OK sorta.

Got one for free in June. Quality so far seems spectacular.

For $250 I would expect a queen fit for breeding a whole apiary of prize-winning varroa-resistant, SHB-whupping, brood-busting honey factories.

But that's the description (supposedly) of the nuc we got for free.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Nucs are going for 90 to 200 dollars. Who knows what they will sell for next spring. I guess supply and demand will control the price. Already the almighty dollar is destroying the industry. its time to learn how to raise my own queen now. its the only way i'm going to last in this hobby.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm in NC too (western part), and our local supplier charges $140! That will get you *booming* nuc in April/May. Enough bees and a happy queen that you could potentially get a honey harvest from. If I were going to pay $250 I would want a whole hive with a strong colony!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Its $100-125 just for a package here. I guess you won't know what you can make if you don't ask, meanwhile beeks are complaining of other beeks dumping honey too cheaply.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I keep seeing this one in my area on craigslist $1250 for one hive with bees (2 deeps one super) and if you don't want to work the bees seller will come work them for you for a honey split. Seems crazy to me here is the text of the ad:

Honeybee hive delivered and set up - $1250
If you are Ready to get started in bee keeping? this listing is for one Complete working honeybee hive with bees and queen delivered and set up at your location. Then you take on the adventure or have me come back to work your bees for a honey trade
Very happy friendly girls...
Parts include
Top cover
Inner cover
2 deep supers full frames
Screen bottom board with landing and slide in under cover board
Wire queen excluder
One medium super with foundation ready to be built up during this spring's first honey flow

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Here in my area a 5 frame NUC cost between $125 and $150 depending upon source and if it is a overwintered NUC or Spring/summer NUC. Quality of those NUC's at times are questionable. I have seen them sold for as high as 200 from overwintered stock.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts