Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a feral colony in a tree I know about that cast a prime swarm, which I caught this past Tuesday. If my bee math is right, a virgin queen should be emerging within the next couple days and either flying off with a cast swarm, or flying off on a mating flight with plans to return to the colony. If I were to set up a price/hogan trap out, would I hypothetically be able to catch the queen in the nuke box by trapping her out of the tree when she leaves to mate? The kind of trap-out I'm talking about is where the entrances to the tree are sealed other than extending the main entrance through a nuke such that all bees must pass through the nuke to come in and out of the tree, then putting a trap out cone between the nuke and tree, effectively trapping bees in the nuke.

Registered
If I were to set up a price/hogan trap out, would I hypothetically be able to catch the queen in the nuke box by trapping her out of the tree when she leaves to mate?
Hypothetically, yes if your math as one of the variables is correct & how many cells were left behind. And if the virgin has killed all of the other cells, you would ultimately be dooming the colony if successful. If cast swarm, I doubt they stay in the trap?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately the tree has to eventually come down. I would leave the trap out in place until the bees in the original colony all hatch out and join their friends. But that may take more time than I have space. But it's a good point about dooming the original colony. I didn't take into account that they would not have brood in it off of which to build a new queen. Hmmm..

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The more I think about it the more I think I should probably wait until after her mating flight, when I can be pretty sure she is back and laying, then attempt a Price trap out using brood from one of my own combs and hope to trap enough bees out to either a) raise a new queen from that brood, or b) lure the queen out into the nuk which would be ok because by then the tree colony would have fresh brood to make their own new queen. That way I could save my honey pot (and hopefully put off the 'eventually' of the 'eventually the tree has to come down' for another season)

Premium Member
The more I think about it the more I think I should probably wait until after her mating flight, when I can be pretty sure she is back and laying, then attempt a Price trap out using brood from one of my own combs and hope to trap enough bees out to either a) raise a new queen from that brood, or b) lure the queen out into the nuk which would be ok because by then the tree colony would have fresh brood to make their own new queen. That way I could save my honey pot (and hopefully put off the 'eventually' of the 'eventually the tree has to come down' for another season)
You already have the genetics in the original swarm. Make dozens of queens from those if you like. As far as luring the others out, that's an experiment in it's own right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.