Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Packages won't be here for another couple of weeks so I have too much time to think about my new hives and not much to do with my new hives. A recent thread about an absconding package got me to thinking and here are some ideas and assumptions:

1) Hive is based on Oscar Perone's original plan using Langstroth hive parts
2) Bee Culture April 2010 p51 has an article about indirect installation of packages
3) Top entrances are good (M. Bush et al)
4) If the queen stays, the bees will probably stay

The installation would go as follows:

Deep or medium hive body on SBB with closed off entrance. The package sits on the SBB inside this hive body.

A second deep hive body with 10 bars or frames. The queen is installed here per normal package installation

A queen excluder, in this case as an includer, followed by an inner cover upside down with the notch as an entrance.

Top this all off with a hive top feeder and the cover.

This arrangement would remain until the queen is released by the workers or she is directly introduced to the hive in 7 days. No peeking until then. After which the excluder and empty package would be removed and the bottom entrance opened to the largest gap on the reducer.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
It will work. I have never had a problem with package bees absconding. I just put the queen cage between frames and shake the bees into the single super. There are many ways to hive package bees. I like to keep it simple personally. We are shaking a package into a top bar hive at the workshop Saturday in addition to three Langstroth hives.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Really want a little insurance, put a frame of brood in there with the package. When I got the swarm off my house, I used a frame of brood to lure them out and they practically jumped on to the frames.

Craig

1 - 5 of 5 Posts