Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am fairly new to the exiting world of beekeeping and of course have a million questions.

Let's start with number one,

Pereseving the new investment.

I have been binge watching YouTube videos about poly hives, plastic hives and of course wooden hives.
Since I live in the subtropical part of the east coast of Australia, mould and fungi are everywhere.
My personal preference would be to continue with wooden hives, I am a carpenter by trade so making the boxes comes natural.

What is the best way to preserve the timber, there are a lot of people out there using wax to dip their equipment.

Has anyone long term experience with this method in a subtropical environment?

My partner is also involved in the great venture and she would like some colour and prettiness added to the garden, but just painting the hives may not give us the longevity.

Thanks for your help

Jens

·
Registered
Two 8-frame Langstroth hives
216 Posts
Hi Jens. I'm a very new beekeeper myself.

Cedar is one of the best timbers for hives (if it has been dried properly before milling as I recently found out). It is light, and has anti-rot and decay properties. It is also more expensive than pine.

Pine hive components can be treated with copper naphtenate but personally I rather not preserve it with chemicals. Bees will do a good job coating the inside of the hive with wax.

Another option is to get the hives hot wax dipped as you mentioned, and painted as the wax is still hot, which gets absorbed in the wood. If you do that to a cedar hive, I'm sure it will last a very long time.

Paint the outside of the hive with a few coats of good exterior grade paint. Some paint the inside to but I'm not a fan of that either. If I did, I'd use interior paint as that has less VOCs.

I'm not a fan of plastic and poly hives but the added insulation of poly has a lot of merit.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts