Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ihave a hive that I would like to preserve the genetics. It is now August and I would appreciate a recommendation for preserving the genetics of this hive.

·
Registered
968 Posts
That is as simple as getting the hive to survive the winter, thrive in the spring so that you can make splits from it.

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
Ideally you want to start "preserving the genetics" a bit earlier (July would be perfect).
This gives you better chances to make daughter queens from the desired mother queen.
Still can do it, but need to start today.
Getting the desired queens to overwinter - goes without saying.

Here is one important point I did not understand (until recently; and lost some genetics because of it).
IF a colony with the desired queen is failing (for any reason different from the desirability criteria), I'd want to pull the queen and find her a different home so to preserve her.
The colony may be let to sink under, it is not that big a loss - but preserving the desired queen is a superior goal.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I don't know how you are set up but here is what I do when I want to keep the Queen and get some of her off spring.
I pull the Queen and 3 frames of caped brood and place in a nuc with 1 undrawn frame and frame feeder. Making sure the parent hive has fresh laid eggs and some day old larva left in the hive. give the parent hive 4 days to start Queen cells. I then pull frames with cells and divide in to nuc's making up Queen less nucs with a frame feeder in each. I have 40+ set up this month so far. I should have 6 more Tuesday evening.
Then feed, feed, feed. We have till the end of September beginning of October before it get's to cold to feed sugar. By then they have a second 5 frame box on top. So they go through winter with 9 or 10 drawn frames.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts