Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
smokers.jpg

After being two years in the works my imported Brazil SC smoker arrived. Designed for the management of AHB populated hives in South America, it dwarfs my woodsman and Bee-z smokers. I can't wait to fire it up.

·
Registered
11,860 Posts
Wow that's quite a monster.

I see it is designed to be used with both hands, just wonder how practical that is compared to being able to waft smoke as required with a normal sized one handed smoker while the other hand is free to be doing whatever you are doing. If the bees get tetchy, you would then have to put all work down before using both hands to use the smoker, or, you would not be able to smoke between boxes when separating them, or under a lid while removing it.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
So why is this smoker different then any other smoker other then being bigger?
What does it do the others will not? Just wondering.:) And why the two year wait?

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was on back order when I first ordered it. Then the company would not ship to the USA, so I waited for a co-worker to go to Brazil on vacation, get it and ship it back.

I got it as a novelty. Being larger and two handed are the primary differences. I imagine once smoking you need a flashlight to find the hives. But you guys can be cynical... when those African bees get here I will be ready.

·
Registered
149 Posts
it would be fun to show up at my local clubs field trip with that monster. I would tell everyone, after one look at my smoker all bees refuse to even try to sting me.:eek:

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
It sure would be easy to inspect your hives; one look at that sucker and they would all leave!

·
Registered
378 Posts
I printed out the picture and pasted on the hives... IT works ARH ARH ARH...

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
it would be fun to show up at my local clubs field trip with that monster. I would tell everyone, after one look at my smoker all bees refuse to even try to sting me.:eek:
LOL it would be really fun to show up to one of the hoity toity bee clubs with this thing... NYC beekeepers association here I come :D

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
If my memory is correct, the intentions where for 2 people to work a hive, one to smoke, the other to move frames. Hence the availability of two hands to operate the smoker.

Crazy Roland

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If my memory is correct, the intentions where for 2 people to work a hive, one to smoke, the other to move frames. Hence the availability of two hands to operate the smoker.

Crazy Roland
I can't read Spanish so the directions are useless to me, but looking it over it has a hook and leg on the front so it can be hung level on the side of the hive. It also has a baffle that can be clipped onto the end of the spout which directs the smoke downward. My assumption is that once the hive is open it gets hung on the side and pumped one handed.

I have a few days to work bees later in the week. Maybe I will light it up and shoot a video with it. Just so we can surmise it's proper use.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts