Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For the past 5 years, I’ve been bottling honey in the squeezable plastic 1lb containers.

However, I have yet to figure out how to wash them in the dishwasher without melting. So it’s always the same pain in the rear routine - an entire day of hand washing plastic containers, setting them out to dry, and washing and drying the plastic lids (and seals). I have been tempted to go with glass, but customers’ feedback has told me that they prefer the squeezable plastics.

I’d love to hear others’ methods of getting this done more efficiently. Also, for those of you that use the lids that come with the seals already installed, how are you washing them?

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
625 Posts
Do glass, tell your customers it is better for the environment plus it is Way easier to sterilize for the honey

·
Registered
4 Posts
He's asking about plastic. I'd like to know as well.

ya ya ya on the glass (and one of my customers demands glass) but she has no issues forking out the extra money for glass. Some do, however...and most moms with kids running around don't want glass jars on the counter. Plastic IS a better option for some.

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
625 Posts
He's asking about plastic. I'd like to know as well.

ya ya ya on the glass (and one of my customers demands glass) but she has no issues forking out the extra money for glass. Some do, however...and most moms with kids running around don't want glass jars on the counter. Plastic IS a better option for some.
Asa
A Mother, 2 things...
1) kids don't get to touch anything in the kitchen until they are old enough not to drop them
2) I would Never let a child ( one that could drop and break something) dish out their own honey, not my precious honey

Lol

·
Registered
581 Posts
I treat the lids as clean as received, and handwash the bottles.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I used to dry the bottles and get all the little bitty specs of water out. I don’t do that anymore.
I shake them out as well as I can, and usually let them dry overnight. Shake again, and whatever is left, stays.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just adding my nod to glass. I only use Ball/Kerr canning jars (jellies, pints, quarts and 2 quarts). I've received comments on them since they are more likely to be used again. I refuse to add more plastic to the stream.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Just adding my nod to glass. I only use Ball/Kerr canning jars (jellies, pints, quarts and 2 quarts). I've received comments on them since they are more likely to be used again. I refuse to add more plastic to the stream.
I am with you, but the honey I ship goes into plastic.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Just adding my nod to glass. I only use Ball/Kerr canning jars (jellies, pints, quarts and 2 quarts). I
Maybe different in your part of the world, but in ours, canning jars need to be sterilized before use, it's assumed they will get that during the canning process so they done come that way. Honey jars purchased thru commercial glass suppliers arrive cleaned, ready to use. It's easy to tell which are or are not cleaned as packaged. If the bottle arrives right side up in the case, it needs to be cleaned. If it arrives upside down, that's because it's been cleaned and it prevents dust from settling into the clean jar.

FWIW, in our part of the world, honey jars bought at commercial jar distributors are far less expensive than canning jars purchased at retail outlets.

We buy jars from the commercial jar folks, and fill them right out of the box, put a lid and label on, then they go right back into the box.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I am with grizzlies. The only jars I have ever wash, are the ones people bring back.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I always wash my jars and I just noticed they are from China as are most other jars. They come in a dozen in cardboard boxes marked made in China. I no longer want this stuff in my home so I am looking for an American source for glass.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I agree. Ironic, my wife purchased face masks from Walgreens this week and when I opened the box they were made in China.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I always wash my jars and I just noticed they are from China as are most other jars. They come in a dozen in cardboard boxes marked made in China. I no longer want this stuff in my home so I am looking for an American source for glass.
Anchor Hocking states on the box, "American Made Glass Since 1905".

Alex

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
What is in the glass? Where is the lid made? Website has no data or specifications. Company is owned by the Oneida Group, Inc and worldwide.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I was doing a little bottle research for my current needs. I found a "Classic" 1lb. bottles made is the USA or so the email reply to my question confirms. The price was pretty good too. SKS, I believe is in Penn. Shipping and energy cost I would thing is the manufacturing driver so USA made makes sense. The are apparently numerous formulations, 1000s, for silica glass. I am tempted to ask the basic composition of a finished bottle. The reply:

RE: Classic glass honey container , P/N 40250160.01S [Ticket#90106131]

Hi there,
Yes these are made in the US

Taylor H
-
(518) 880-6980x283
[email protected]
www.sks-bottle.com, www.sks-science.com

FYI - a "Classic" 1lb. honey bottle is similar to the Queenline except the pour diameter is smaller and the base wider - in case you are interested.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts