Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking ro increase winter-over brood by feeding 2:1 syrup. I added 4# sugar to 2 cups (#) of water, while stirring brought to a boil and removed from stove to cool. It crystalized. Too high a temp? Too much stirring?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Looking ro increase winter-over brood by feeding 2:1 syrup. I added 4# sugar to 2 cups (#) of water, while stirring brought to a boil and removed from stove to cool. It crystalized. Too high a temp? Too much stirring?
DO NOT add sugar to boiling water while on the stove! Bring water to almost a boil, then pour over sugar in another bucket/bowl, etc. This will bring the temp down of the water enough till it doesn't crystalize. If you boil sugar syrup it will always crystalize... Mix it pound per pound or 16 oz to 16 oz for 1:1 and 32 oz to 16 oz for 2:1 Sugar is first part, water is second part in both examples. A pound is a pound the world around. Remember that phrase when it comes to the syrup formulas.. :)

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
A pound is a pound the world around. :)
Actually that old saying is " a pint is a pound, the world around"

A better way to mix sugar and water, (if you have a battery drill) is go to the dollar store and purchase a 5 gallon paint stirrer for about $1.50. Just run your tap water until it reaches it hottest level, then put two pints hot water in a plastic container, (5 gallon bucket works well), start your drill stirrer and add the 4 pounds of sugar. Whip for about 1 minute. Presto. Does away with the heating on the stove.

cchoganjr

·
Registered
8,288 Posts
Well, there's a simpler way.

Make a mark in that 5 gallon bucket, a few inches from the top. Fill to the line with granulated sugar. Fill to the line with hot water and stir with your paint stirrer. When sugar is dissolved, add water to bring level back to the line and stir one more time.

Makes 65% syrup with no weighing or measuring. The line can be anywhere in the bucket...or any other container.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Well, there's a simpler way.

Make a mark in that 5 gallon bucket, a few inches from the top. Fill to the line with granulated sugar. Fill to the line with hot water and stir with your paint stirrer. When sugar is dissolved, add water to bring level back to the line and stir one more time.

Makes 65% syrup with no weighing or measuring. The line can be anywhere in the bucket...or any other container.
Interesting.. Going to have to give that trick a whirl next time around.. Which won't be long.. lol

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
If your container is much larger than your batch of syrup it is easier to stir it as the splashes stay within the vessel. I am lucky enough to be able to use a 42 maxant jacket vessel, which I refurbished. I set it to 170 degrees, heat the water and then stir in the sugar with very little mess. I weigh in 50 pounds of water and 100 pounds of sugar.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Well, sugar doesn't weigh a "pound per pint" (2 cups). It's lighter than water.

So, to get 1:1 syrup use 9 cups of granulated sugar to 8.3 cups of water.

To get 2:1 syrup use 18 cups of granulated sugar and the same amount (8.3 cups) of water.

I always forget the weight of sugar and have to look it up here: http://www.traditionaloven.com/conversions_of_measures/sugar_amounts.html

Also have you considered feeding a pollen sub patty in the late summer/ fall to boost over-winter brood? IIRC, Randy Oliver advocates protein feeding to build fat bees for over-wintering. Perhaps that's a local tactic for him (California and early build-up for almond pollination). That's what he seems to be advocating here: http://scientificbeekeeping.com/bee-nutrition/ I find the article(s) not entirely clear, unfortunately.

I am trying it on my smaller hives (2014 splits) this year, and may add some a bit later even to my big ones. I'm using Global Patty, because that's what I can buy locally and I didn't want to try and get some shipped during hot weather. Randy announced last Dec. that he was doing some trials on pollen sub products (commercial and home-made) that would be completed by February. I haven't seen any results published, yet, beyond a little tease here and there.

Enj.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts