Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
It is not only unnecessary but produces a by-product toxic to bees hydroxymethylfurfural. HMF forms in sugars over 120 degrees. Hot water and agitation will dissolve plenty of sugar way beyond a 1:1 ratio. Bees on HMF will act drunk and die in front of the hive.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I use to boil the water then remove it form the heat and add sugar, never seen any drunk bees or had any hives die. But found it was only necessary to use hot tap water and dissolve the sugar this saves a lot of time. If the bees really need the feed it will be consumed before it goes bad at those temperatures. After a week if it’s not all consumed I will remove it. I haven’t noticed any fermentation but mold will start to form. If you don’t have any surplus supers on adding Honey bee healthy will prolong the lifespan.

·
Registered
575 Posts
On advice from trusted codger I now only feed for winter stores 2 sugar to 1 water and heat mix to 180 degrees. Kills all and never molds. I haven't had any issues and only had my first loss this year. They died late winter, one out of five. I'm in SE PA.

Unless they are short, my girls ignore the sugar water in hive top feeders when nectar's available.

I'm not discounting the HMF. Bees go about their business with no concern for our goals and one keeper's sacred procedure is another's disaster. The small small starter books are great, but since location greatly affects success even within the same region, I enjoy my own mistakes and make up my own mind.

·
Registered
277 Posts
It is not only unnecessary but produces a by-product toxic to bees hydroxymethylfurfural. HMF forms in sugars over 120 degrees. Hot water and agitation will dissolve plenty of sugar way beyond a 1:1 ratio. Bees on HMF will act drunk and die in front of the hive.
hydroxymethylfurfural... what?? :scratch:
I googled this and learned that this is a by-product of dehydrated fructose:

"HMF can be produced from sugars. It arises via the dehydration of fructose, a technology that is evolving through new extraction methods.[3][4] In this new method, fructose is treated with aqueous hydrochloric acid and the HMF (very water-soluble) is continuously extracted into methyl isobutyl ketone as an organic phase at 180 °C. "

Man that`s too tecky for me! :s

Just stick to hot tap water. It cools down right away when you add the sugar but it`s hot enough to help dissolve it. And yes 1:1 syrup will get moldy so don`t use overly big feeders.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried the mix of 25# sugar to 3 gallons of water and the yield was 5 1/2 gallons of syrup. Does this sound right?

·
Registered
388 Posts
bhfury, then why the heck are the bees all over the swimming pool? ;) And don't say nearest water sources, I have approximately a hundred. The next place that appears to be a favorite is the pond bank, and that's closer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts