Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Any comments on the Premier 1 Bear QuikFence? It looks interesting because it is adaptable between all-hot and positive/negative configurations, and the bottom wire can be disconnected in taller grass. 12 strand can't hurt, can it? And it is visible. But the length is, of course, not adjustable. For that reason, and for the ease of setup, I am also considering the Gallagher Smart Fence. I suppose effectiveness against bears should trump convenience, though.

Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Those are user satisfaction fences and work great in places like New York city, Los Angeles, and Toronto. But in real bear country they are really not reliable. they are too flimsy to withstand bear. They will detour a bear if the bear comes in contact on the nose or pad of the paw. But when they come in contact with parts covered with long hair the bears the bruin are able to push them down to a ground and shot them. A good bear fence needs to be stout and tightly strung. It needs to be powered By a charged that delivers a good shock capable of making it through their heavy fur.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I have used a similar mesh fence in an area that has bears occasionally. I found that you needed a larger solar fencer than my permanent 5 wire fence setups. I initially used a Parmak 6 and ended up changing it to a Parmak 12 to keep the voltage up. Unless you fence your yard with a chainlink or cattle panels and then a high tension electric fence around that, you aren't going to keep out a bear that wants to get in. Deterrence is what you are going for with most fence designs.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Is it a permanent or temporary site? If it's temporary and you get occasional bears the Premier electro netting works with the Parmak 12. If you live in Bear country I would use a true electric fence system. In bear country I use the 5 strand wire fence 3 hot wires and 2 negative. The main reason I use this setup is it works well in really dry climates. Like CA.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts