Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on extracting two medium supers from my hive this weekend. This box has A full brood box as well as a full medium super I am planning on leaving them. My question is after I extract these boxes this weekend should I give them back one of these boxes in anticipation for goldenrod or should I just push them down to the bottom two boxes and let them work with that for the rest of the year. My worry is that by giving them an extra box to stay in through winter as the population decreases SHB being able to establish a strong foothold during the winter.

Can't wait to taste my first bit of honey from my girls

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I would give at least one back to them, otherwise they are starting from zero. This way they can repair any comb and start refilling it. IF you give it back to them wet, watch for robbing, it can become an issue. I would freeze the other if you dont plan on using it...just my $.02

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I'd put both back on long enough to let them clean them then pull one back off and store it. What do you think will happen if you have even a moderate fall flow and no supers on? :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts