Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just at my hives a few minutes ago, and I spotted a 3" praying mantis on top of one, eating a bee. Anybody know how much damage one of these can cause? Seems like it couldn't be much.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
a good queen lays 1000 plus eggs a day-yep, thats 1k+. a mantis is small potatoes. enjoy the show.
good luck,mike

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yessir, using my rudimentary hillbilly mathematical skills, I concluded that I had more bees than praying manti (isn't that the right pluralization?), and therefore didn't even take it off the top of my hive.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Cool sight to see though... get any pictures? My brother once raised pray mantises(is that the right pluralization?) from othaca's, with are those little semi-hard cocoon things you find attached to stuff.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I see them on my hives alot. I always have an empty jar or 10 in the back of my truck. I try and catch them to bring them home and put in my garden.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
If you find an unopened egg case you can bring it in the house, put it in a windowsill, and watch the hatch. They come out and eat the flies in the window, fun to watch!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I watch waves of dragonflies scoop up mine, once in a while one will try to grab one too large and it will get away. Never seen a mantis by the hives. I have a book from the 1920's called beekeeping in the south that list dragonflies as the largest danger to queens on mating flights in the state of Florida.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
amazing... and disturbingly fascinating. I wonder if there's a particular reason why this mantis started with the bee's thorax? You're right, it was rather gross. I love mantises, love bees more, hate it when they come together like this. But, such is life. Thanks for sharing.
Regards,
Steven

1 - 9 of 9 Posts