Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I read a thread on the praying mantis on this forum. This is really just a bit more of a pointed question. In my area there is a major infestation of stink bugs. I have read that the praying mantis will readily eat stink bugs. We have pondered on getting up to 25 or more mantis egg cases to spread about in order to destroy the little stinkers as best we can.

I have concern as to how much damage these predators will do to our bees, knowing that they will also eat bees.

Is the praying mantis considered a major killer of bees. As we are starting with a single hive, I'd hate to create the situation that ensures its failure.

Thanks,

DH
1/2 of B-NewBBB:scratch:

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I find praying mantis hanging right above the entrances from time to time. No big deal. I catch them and take them home and put them in my garden.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Yeah I have them at my place as well and have never seen a mantis eating a honeybee.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Flower Flowering plant Plant Butterfly Pollinator Moths and butterflies Butterfly Cynthia (subgenus) Insect Brush-footed butterfly

this is my wildflower Garden and i have large mantis they go after the monarchs but spit them out due to the milkweed poison
never seen them going after my bee hives in the same area

·
Registered
12,357 Posts
Unless most of your bees forage in your garden the mantises will not get a whole lot of them.

Couple of things though. I have never seen a mantis eat a stink bug. Other thing, the mortality of young mantises is high, and mantises are transient. Collect and place egg cases if you wish, but population is controlled in the end by food supply.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Not related, but I had a pet mantis... found him clinging to my leg one day during a disc golf tournament.

Brought him home and fed him till he was huge.

Awesome little guy.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have a vivid childhood memory of watching a mantis eat a honeybee. I was at a friend's house whose neighbor had bees. I was fascinated and watched it for a long time. He held it in his little hands and ate it piece by piece just like a person would. It kind of creeped me out because he looked like someone was home inside that little head.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
A couple of years ago a link was posted on the forum to a youtube or some such video of a mantis sitting under the bottom board of a hive, enjoying dining on a honeybee.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts